Are Trancender exams a good readyness guide?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by nickb, Aug 9, 2007.

1. nickb

nickb New Member

Hi. I have been studying for 270 using exam cram2 book which i have found very good and for the past week have been using trancender practice exams. My questions are:

I have scored 80,83 and 90% on the 3 timed exams, does this mean i should do good in the real exams?

How similar are the trancender questions to those in the actal exam?

This is my first exam so unsure how to gage it, im going to book it today just dont know wether to go for it tomorrow and get it over with or have the weekend to do a bit more cramming.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you scored that high your first time taking each of the practice exams, then you're likely ready. If you scored that high the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th time you've seen a practice exam, then you may NOT be ready. A practice exam can only accurately gauge your ability to pass the FIRST time you see a set of test questions. After you've already seen a question once, you'll have subconsciously memorized what you've already seen... thereby throwing off any scores on subsequent exams.

When you take the live exam, the concepts will be similar, but the questions will be different. They HAVE to be, or Transcender would get into big trouble with Microsoft, wouldn't they? That said, understanding the concept is the important thing... if you understand why the right answers are right and the wrong answers are wrong, then Microsoft could ask a question on that topic any number of ways and you'll STILL be able to answer correctly.

So are they similar questions to what you'll see on the live exam? Though I no longer work for Transcender, I will say yes - they generally ask questions similar to what you see on the live exam. Are they the *same* questions? No. Nor should they be. Otherwise, it'd be a braindump.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have used Trancender tests on all of the certs I have taken so far and I tend to only hit them when I am nearly ready for the exam.

So far I have found the questions a little harder than the exam questions. I think you will get the most out of them if you use them to find your weak areas rather than focusing on the % score you are getting.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yes! As BBM has pointed out, they need to be used correctly. Take small amounts at a time. This way you will get a true idea of your readiness rather than memorising the answers which will be no help to you in the real exam.

Good luck.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What other study material are you using?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I always use transcenders to study for exams and I find them great. for the 270 exam that I took I find that transcender questions were harder then the exam questions though.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. nickb

nickb New Member

I have read the Exam Cram book for 270 twice so just that book and recently the Transcender exams. I have worked in IT for 2 years so very familier with most of the content, have been off work for a while with a broken ankle so looking for a new permenant job and figured its about time i started getting certified.

Its good to know that most people view Transcender as slightly harder. Ive booked the exam for Monday 13th so wish me luck.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck Nick :)

9. nickb

nickb New Member

Passed today with a score of 873. In answer to my own question...Yes. Transcender exams are a very good guide to how ready you are to take the exam and some questions are actually very simliar however most just ask questions on the same topics in a different way but similar enough to trigger your memory. If you can answer Trascender questions and explain the answer to yourself and justify why the wrong ones are wrong then you are ready for the exam.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Congrats Nick! 8)

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, that's the plan. ;)

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!