are they taking the mick?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by P3-450, Dec 12, 2005.

1. P3-450

P3-450 Bit Poster

Hi all

I applied for a job about two weeks ago through JobSite, and the job is perfect for me.

So I applied and emailed my CV.

I waited a few days and I didn't get a response so I phoned the agency dealing with it. We spoke for about 20 minutes, he was telling me all about the job and what his client was looking for, everything he said is what I was looking for.

He said he would send my cv of to the employer and will let me know the following tuesday if any news.

Tuesday comes and I hear nothing, but I thought I'd give him an extra day just incase. After not hearing from him on the wednesday I decided to ring him to see what the situation is.
    He told me that he had not heard back from the employer yet, and should hear back within the next couple of days. He said he will notify me by phone or email with any news.

So I wait,

I've not heard back from him today either. :(

Are they messing me around?

I want to call them again, but I don't want to push it.

The thing that makes it unbearable is this is the perfect job for me and I know I probably wont get another one like it.

What should I do? Is this normal?

I would rather that they tell me straight up, either I got an interview or I haven't. I mean if they say they will contact me they should, instead of leaving me hanging and banging my head against the wall :(

Certifications: A+ DCSE
    WIP: N+ and MCSA
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

employers are wishy washie. its likely that they just havent got back in touch with the agency to be honest. or keep asking for more CV's. Its not really in the agencies interests to string you along, the sooner you are told you didnt get that position, the sooner you will start taking more of an interest with the others that they have available.

id check in with them weekly, or bi-weekly. ask about other jobs as well as that one. You never know what else will turn up.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

it might be a lazy recruiter - one who cant be bothered telling you that you didn't get the job. Its also quite likely that the employer is simply giving the agency the runabout..

I can't believe how often this happens. Its always 'now now now' when they want results, but woe betide the recruiter who want's some anwers from them quickly..

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It is of course possible that they haven't heard back from the employer.
    Generally reading CV's ranks pretty low on the list of priorities for the day. You put them to one side to flip through when you've got ten minutes.
    Then you do your emails, have a few meetings, and it gets put off. Especially if the job they are filling is 'non-critical'.

And there's nothing worse than a pushy little twerp from a recruitment agency phoning you up every five minutes hoping that you're having a really good day and by the way have you read that CV yet because I need to make my quota for this week?

If they are fobbing you off then there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately. In this kind of situation they hold all the cards and if they choose to bin your CV because they can't be bothered with it, you have to hold your head high and move on to the next one.

Don't rely too heavily on recruitment agents. They have their uses and some are better than others, but they rarely have your interests at heart - it's theirs.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

P3,

I have noticed some employers do not rush to inform people, so it is just a waiting game unfortunately :twisted:

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

bitter Johnny ?*G* ... look, recruiters have their own hassles to deal with. They're not all 'pushy little twerps' who need to fill their quota. (obviously they have sales targets tho)

Have you any idea how frustrating it is to see a CV that is the perfect fit, yet there's no feedback from the employer? And you know that the applicant is likely to get snapped up elsewhere...

Or the applicant is anxious and keeps phoning for updates that you don't have...

or indeed, yes, there's a target to be met or you're out on your arse and the employer can't be arsed keeping in touch..

it's not a one way street guys.

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No... I've dealt with recruitment agencies from both sides.
    I signed up with one in my previous life and went through that process, and then when I was an HR manager we used them on a couple of occasions to fill vacancies.

Like I said, some are good, some are bad.
    My worst expeirence was when they tried to force a completely unsuitable candidate on us to get their money.
    They lied to the applicant about the role and his suitability. Then they lied to us about how good he was.

It was very embarassing.
    But I don't mean to tar them all with the same brush though. They can be a good source of advice and leads.

What I meant to say was don't rely on them exclusively to get that job, you need to do some hunting yourself.
    Where a recruitment agent is good is that they can often send you 'quantity' of offers. Go to all the interviews they arrange for you, even if you don't fancy the job or the location.
    That keeps your recruitment agent happy and it gives you valuable experience in dealing with different interview techniques. You learn something new from every one you go to. Then when you find your ideal job you're ready...

He was a twerp though...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Thats pretty bad.. if they were REC members you could complain. I guess, just like with IT Training Companies, the sales side of the job can cause bad practice. Sales does seem to reward and require greedy people.

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I've had very mixed experiences with recruitment agencies, when they think they can get you in a role and earn some cash they can be very friendly and helpful........ when they don't they can be absolute "$£"£$%s

Having said that..... any recruiters out there want to throw some jobs my way at the moment I would be more than happy to sing their praises throughout the land :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have to say that the waiting game is bad to play.

Take this for example (this is true, my own experience). I applied for a job, and had the interview 2 weeks later then nothing... I hear back from them about 11 months later saying that I got the job. That's right you guys, almost a year I waited for a answer and this was for a position in the Public Sector (a Government dept., well to be honest I forgot about the job after a month of waiting). So to be honest it may be the same day you find out or in my particular case for that job almost a year.

So don't lose heart, just keep on applying for jobs left, right and centre. Don't soley depend on agencies. Good luck with your future and career.

-Ken

P.S. - I did take the job and left just under 2 years of it, thats where I met my wife :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd have to say that recruiters can be a mixed bag. I've worked with recruiters who were very helpful and supportive and a few who were completely useless. Guess it's like any other profession...not all recruiters and recruitment agencies are created equal.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. P3-450

P3-450 Bit Poster

Thanks guys for your comments.

I have played the waiting game many many times and I'm only 22, but when an opportunity like this comes along then it's even worse.

I will still be applying for other jobs, but I will most likely have to drag a decision out of the agency just for my own piece of mind 8)

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Certifications: A+ DCSE
    WIP: N+ and MCSA