Are there any

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

other Harry Nilsson fans around here?

I just found a cd I'd forgotten I had tonight and had to sit and listen to Nilsson Schmilsson all the way through a couple times. What a voice. What talented composer. What versatility.... It's said that when the Beatles first heard Nilsson Schmilsson they announced that their favorite "band" was Nilsson. Pretty high praise.

Also, anyone else remember "The Point"? The animated musical story written and composed by Harry Nilsson? What a gem. I just found out it's available as a DVD on sites such as Amazon. I'll have to pick it up one of these days as I loved it back in the 70's.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I guess not Freddy! :(

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I wouldn't call myself a fan but I remember listening to him way back when on the radio.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm a massive Harry Harrison fan, but he writes Sci-Fi, so I guess it's not him...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I know a Barry Nielson, it it helps ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. ffreeloader

Yeah, I guess not.

I'm sort of surprised too as Harry Nilsson was a huge talent. However, Harry was eclectic. His albums were about the music, not about making huge money so he was never a huge commercial success. He released what he wanted to, sang what he wanted to, and was a complete original. He was a rock and roll singer/songwriter, with a smooth-as-silk tenor voice that had a range of 3 1/2 octaves, who released an album of nothing but remakes of pre-World War II standards, A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night.

There will only be one Harry Nilsson.... If you've never heard of him, you've missed out on some wonderful, completely orginal, and wide ranging music with soaring vocals. You have probably heard some of the stuff he wrote though. The Turtles, The Yardbirds, Blood Sweat and Tears, and The Monkees all sang songs he wrote. He also wrote the scores for several movies. He sang "Everybody's Talkin' at Me" on Midnight Cowboy. He didn't write "Without You", but when Harry sang it, it became a huge hit. He also wrote "I Guess the Lord Must be in New York City", "One", and "Jump into the Fire".

7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

eh ? who ? what ? only turtles I know are ninja turtles...

are they black and white movies there ?

:D :D :D

ps... only joking...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  8. ffreeloader

I thought I'd put a link here to customer reviews from Amazon.com to a Harry Nilsson Greatest Hits album. It's pretty plain that Harry has sort of a cult-like following. If you know about him, and have listened to him you realize that this guy really was one of the greatest singer/songwriters of the modern era, but unfortunately not a lot of people know about Harry.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...stomer-reviews.sort_by=-SubmissionDate&n=5174

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry Freddy.
    It looks like we're quite an uncultured bunch here.
    Hey, it's I.T.
    Ask them if they know Dire Straits...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. ffreeloader

LOL. Another group of musicians I like. Mark Knopfler is one incredible guitar picker.

I have an album by Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins that has some of the best guitar picking I've ever heard: Neck and Neck. It's a country music flavored album because of Chet Atkins being on it, but the guitar work is simply phenomenal. I do have a couple of Dire Strait's albums too though: Brothers in Arms and Dire Straits. Both are good but the self-titled album is probably my favorite. Sultans of Swing and Southbound again are awfully good music....

I have this feeling my music tastes are probably just as eclectic as Harry Nilsson's albums are. My secular music collection includes The Beatles, Mozart, Scott Joplin (he wrote Ragtime music around the turn of the 20th century and I have an album of his rags written for the piano) The Who, The Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Alabama, Pink Floyd, Joe Walsh, Joe Cocker, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Roy Orbison, Croby Stills Nash & Young, Acoustic Alchemy, The Moody Blues, Willy Nelson, The Highwaymen, Rare Earth, Bonnie Raitt, The Sons of the Pioneers, etc.... I'm all over the place as to what I like. I listen to, and like, just about all types of music other than Hip Hop, Rap, Disco, and junk along the lines of Punk and Grunge. Don't care for free-form Jazz either. Too much dissonance for me.

As to the "cultured" bit. LOL. Harry Nilsson was John Lennon's drinking buddy. He and John got tossed out of a Smothers Brothers show once while he and John were on drunk for heckling them so Harry was anything but cultured. He lived hard and died in his 50's (1994) of a heart attack. I wouldn't say I am very "cultured" either.... I've never been accused of it before, I can guarantee you that. :biggrin

After realizing that no one here had really heard of him I was just trying to drum up a little interest in his music. He's very much worth listening to if a person appreciates music and musical genius.