Are socket 370 & FC PGA the same thing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aureilius, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of putting a 700mhz p3 into a machine with a 400mhz celeron. More for the experience than anything else.

Anyaway, I'm getting mixed info on the differences between socket 370 & FC PGA

Here are two conflicting docs I read;
    ------------------------------------------
    Some of the Celeron and the last Pentium 3 processors use motherboards that have the Flip Chip - Pin Grid Array or FC - PGA socket. - This is not a new socket, just a new name for Socket 370.

-------------------------------------------

Which implies I can use a fcpga chip in a socket 370 mobo, but another one says otherwise;

--------------------------------------------

FC-PGA
    With Intel's high-density 0.18 micron process they can now fit the level-2 cache on the main CPU chip, so the Slot-1 daughter board is no longer necessary. The form factor for these new chips is physically the same as the old Socket-370, but the pinouts are somewhat different. Still, you can get an adaptor to run an FC-PGA CPU in a Socket-370 motherboard.

-------------------------------------------

So one of them says it's just a new name for socket 370, yet another says they ARE different. Which is it?

Thanks.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have no idea! Try it and see if it works!

NB: I will not be held responsible if they break! :twisted:

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

err well socket 370 was an FC-PGA (stands for Flip Chip - Pin Grid Array) however the older P3s and stuff thier boards didnt have support for the Tualatin and Coppermine cores, the adapter provided an interpreting layer for the new cores to work on older motherboards

as far as I remember

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Thanks Phoenix.

I'm still a little unclear here.. :confused3

So would you say that a p3 which says FC PGA on it's specs will run on a socket 370 motherboard?

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+