Are self study books required ?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Timewyrm, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Timewyrm

Timewyrm Bit Poster

Hi,

First off, can I say that this is a brilliant site ! :biggrin

I've bought the trainsignal A+ 2006 video training and was wondering if I need to buy the 2 books that all you guys have been recommending (Mike Meyers A+ & the PC street Smart).
    The reason I ask is because it is another £50 or so (for both books) and if it doesn't make a difference (because I have the trainsignal pack) then I'll leave it.

Regards,
    TimeWyrm !

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have never heard of that transignal video but you definetly need the other two books

I have them, an old pc would help too I got one from a junk shop for £30

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Timewyrm

Timewyrm Bit Poster

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The A+ book by mike meyers is a great book for the exam, but not only that its good to have as a reference too. I would get the book if you ask me. I know its a little bit of money but its a good investment.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nothing against Trainsignal... but if I could have only one study resource for the A+ exam, it'd be the Meyers book, hands down.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Although the videos can be very helpful, I'd say the books are a "must have" for reference etc. Personally I would also read them cover to cover! :) Good luck with your studies!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. Timewyrm

Timewyrm Bit Poster

So both books would be a good long term investment, even after I've done my A+ ?

8. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Not sure about the street smarts one I think trainsignal training video and the Meyers book should be enough, but then again you can never learn to much!

Certifications: A few.
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you def need those two books.. you cant learn everything from videos nor will learn everything from attending classes... there are certain lists you stuff you need to know (IRQ and DMA for example) that the videos might not show you yet in the exam that might ask you what is the device on IRQ 0? and IMO you cant get better books than those so it be a 50 quid well spent.. and when you done you can keep the books and refer to them on the job where as the videos you cant.... 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

street smarts is apparently one of the best lab books out there.. i seen it myself.. if you have never been inside a pc before or a lot this book is very handy so i say get it as well! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. Timewyrm

Timewyrm Bit Poster

Ok, I'll get the books then :super

Thanks guys !

12. geevee

geevee Bit Poster

Can I just recommend the "Computer Buyer Bookstore" ! They have the Mike Meyers A+ book for £20.98!!! They also have the Street Smarts Book for £12.99, so it's well worth a visit. I ordered mine yesterday and they have shipped today so the service seems very good too.

linky : http://books.computerbuyer.co.uk

Hope thats ok, well worth a visit!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-290, 70-621
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Theres a guy on here called Tripwire45 he is the Author of PC technician street smarts, trust me he know his stuff it shows in the book.

I wouldnt be without it or the Meyers book.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?