are routers sufficient to connect to the Internet?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by kobem, Jan 27, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I made a hard research about it. However, I truly couldn't get a clear result. I really do wanna learn whether routers are different than modems while accessing the Internet. In houses, there are devices produced DSL modem/router to feature as both of them. But in enterprises, SOHOs , is the situation different ?

In enterprises, are routers sufficient while accessing the Internet for employees inside the enterprise?(especially
    doing VPN between sites)

which type of routers act also like a modem if Internet is the case?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

did you really research it that hard? You can read all about modems here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem

The dsl or cable routers that one gets from an ISP are really multi-layer multi-function devices. You could also stick a DSL WIC in a cisco router - you can read about that here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...0aecd8028aa5a_ps5853_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Surely you learned a little bit about WAN technologies/the internet - frame relay/T1/vpn in your studies for the CCNA.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Miiiiiiike! Bring through the popcorn!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i know that modems are used mainly for telephone lines. But routers?

so what is the answer for enterprises? routers built-IN WICs?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA
  5. AlexHalliday

AlexHalliday Bit Poster

Main part of that page that applies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem#Broadband

.. I just wrote a line and thought.. "seriously?", anyway...

If an enterprise is using an analog connection to connect their LAN to the "internet" (and yes ADSL is a form of analog, just highly complex) then a modem would be needed - also of course the modem provides the authentication with the ISP on the other end.

And for Fiber Optic connections, Google's service sums it up very well: http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

:popcorn

I still see one problem on the horizon: I have two palms, but only one face.

EDIT: I will attempt to give a more constructive answer: This is why we recommend getting real-world experience before pursuing the CCNA.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No.

Next.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

More likely though, is you will connect your router to their router using ethernet. Their router will have a circuit coming into your building, but this can be presented many different ways.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

For a second, I thought it said : Certifications: CCNA in his profile box ...

Hang on, it does!! :eek:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

troll. 2/10

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  11. Fergal1982

On a related note, Perhaps someone can advise me how Magnets work?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I fancy a cup of coffee.

Do I require a kettle?

JonnyMX: Certifed in domestic science since 1993.

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Uuuhhh, guys, we all know kobem but it does no-one any good if everyone just gives smart@rse replies instead of just passing it over.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. Fergal1982

To be fair mate, we've tried giving constructive advice, we've even tried being blatantly direct. Neither worked....

15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't HAVE to reply to peoples posts.

^^ What he said ^^

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  16. danielno8

Why even bother replying then?

Why do people even choose to enter threads when they see they are created by him?

17. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Just put him/her on your ignore list :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  18. Fergal1982

I always find it funny when people wade in to decry posting in threads when there is no point. Especially since I see the very same people doing similar things elsewhere... Funny that.

19. Fergal1982

I tried that in the past. Unfortunately it doesnt do the one thing I would want it to do - remove threads started by them from the new posts listing. Its a shame really, otherwise it would be a brilliant feature. I've used it once or twice though, even without that.

20. danielno8

All i'm saying, is if his posts annoy you, why enter the thread in the first place? I don't get it.