Are ALL MS exams going to be "renewable"?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Mikeyboy, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hello,

Just a quick question - I haven't been keeping up much with the cert side of things since I have been in my new job, but will definitely do more as I like having them behind me. But I have noticed in a few posts that people are mentioning some exams will need to be done again to be certified forever... so my question is really, are all exams going this way? As that is a big off put for me, if I need to do an exam every few years just to be recertified, that seems like a complete con to me...

Appreciate any answers :)

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Originally, it was meant to be so that you lost the certification if you didn't renew it, kinda like with Cisco's CCNA's and the like.

The backlash was apparently quite large, and Microsoft changed it so that you don't lose the certification i.e. if you did an MCITP on Exchange 2010, you were still certified 20 years from now in it. But this still doesn't mean that you would be certified on Exchange 2030 twenty years from now. Basically, nothing will have really changes (but others may correct me if I'm wrong... I don't work for the teams making the exams so there's a lot of detail I don't keep up with).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes and no...

See here.

While you will not have to "renew" your certification, if you do not keep current (eg once the technology that you're certified in supports ends), you're certified status turns to retired.

The only Microsoft exam(s) that will have to be renewed are the new Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) exams every 5 years.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security