Archaeology to MCSE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by pushkin, Jul 12, 2008.

1. pushkin

pushkin Bit Poster

No, you're not getting it. Obviously you haven't been job hunting recently ! Go take a look at some DS job pages.

Only reason I got my job was because I told the boss I had an MCSA and intended to make it an MCSE in the coming year. I was then grilled (for some time) until they were satisfied I had achieved it honestly, and after a month of probation they decided I was up to the job.

The way you fellas are going on about it you'd swear the MCSE was a PhD, the proverbial professor applying for the janitors job in the college, it ain't......so build a bridge and get over it.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Ok mate calm down,

Most mployers not all but most won't accept people for a job with no experience and the MCSE or MCSA. The fact is that these high end certs are being devalued because of people dumping them and training companies selling their courses to inexperienced people. This is why some places are under the impression that noob must have one.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Suggest you really calm down... you asked for advice, and more advice and opinions. You were given them from a few people who have been in the IT industry for several years, based on experience. Those people also listened to (and obviously read) your opinions.

If you don't like or appreciate what they say, that is fine; however, I for one would very much appreciate it if you managed your responses in a way that wouldn't send this down the route of a Closed thread.

Cheers

4. pushkin

pushkin Bit Poster

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Surely if you have the MCSE you should be able to use forum quotation correctly :scatter:D only joking.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. pushkin

pushkin Bit Poster

LOL ; )

Wasn't getting bent outta shape !

Total accident I ended up here anyway. I appreciate the advice/discussion, but remember the tone in which it's given is as important as the advice itself.... comments like "You're not getting it" are not conducive to conversation or discussion - that's finger wagging. And questioning someone's advice is natural and healthy for both the recipient and giver - not a sign of disrespect, which I never meant to show.

A guy who is out there applying for low level jobs week in week out is always gonna have his finger more on the pulse of what’s happening in recruitment more than a fella whose been in the business a good while and has moved up the ladder. But having looked through this forum in curiosity I realised that this is a often recurring topic so I'll pass the mantle to someone with time on their hands.

Phew ! after all that I need a beer !

So long guys.

7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Employers will think you will be bored quickly and become a problem if you are too qualified.
    Employers looking for MCSE level work will want recent commercial experience to back it up.

Theres no harm in learning these, i think it will help you in the long run to get to a level where you COULD pass the exam, its just you dont want to fall into the above trap by taking the exams until you get the experience or the emnployer demands it while working there..

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Er, no, I haven't. I've been reviewing resumes to hire people recently. :rolleyes:

In short... I'm the dude on the other side of the table who you're trying to impress with your CV.

Still think I don't get it? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, that's telling you you're not getting it. :biggrin We're trying to tell you what the people on the other side of the interview table are thinking, and you're turning your nose up at it. Fine, you can have your opinion. Our experience says otherwise.

Nobody likes being told that they're wrong... so I can understand where you think it's just a buncha finger wagging. But I can either let you wallow in your misunderstanding, or I can try to help you see what we, who have been in the IT industry for many years and review resumes for job applicants, see on a recurring basis. I'm posting for YOUR benefit, man, not mine. You can take the advice, or you can disregard it. Doesn't matter to me. :D

Sure, it is natural and healthy to question. That's a good thing. But telling people who have been doing this stuff for years that they are wrong probably isn't a wise thing to do. You certainly have the right to do so, if you wish... but we've "been there, done that", or seen others make the same mistakes.

A guy who is reviewing the resumes of people for jobs is gonna have his finger more on the pulse of what employers think more than a fella who hasn't ever been in IT before... even more so if that experienced IT guy is hearing - almost daily! - on this very forum about how entry-level folks are getting (or not getting) IT jobs in the industry. Ask these guys. They're looking for jobs, getting jobs, or have gotten jobs recently. They've seen the IT career advice I give, and they see that it works. Don't you think they'd be among the first to call BS if I was wrong?

Ask them, man. They know the answer. To be honest, they don't even need me here - they know the advice as well as I know it. They're living it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!