Apron strings are being cut tomorrow, very excited! :D

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by orangepeeleo, Jun 16, 2010.

1. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

Hey guys,

I am now in my 2nd week of my new job, desktop analyst with a large mental healthcare charity in northampton (1 or 2 on here might know of them maybe), was going to comment on the first week but it turned out to be just an induction. This week however i have been latching on to other techs to a) find my way around the huuuge site, and b) get to know all their systems, server names, procedures etc etc.

Its been a really good week, i have already managed to add to my cv in the form of Supportworks, DameWare and SCCM, i've been down to one of the other sites to find out how they do their rollouts (the SCCM part) ...........and tomorrow i am being let loose on the users all on my own (with 2 mobile numbers to call if i get stuck :oops:) !! I have 4 jobs in my queue that have been assigned to me, 3 system replacements..... and 1 paper jam, but undoubtedly more will be added throughout the day!

After the constant boss over your shoulder style of the army this job is a dream for me, I can get to work in the morning, accept a handful of calls, go out and do them and then remote into my station to see if anything else has come up and take more jobs on, it is entirely possible for me to see my boss twice all day, at the start and at the end... and it's just perfect for me, not because they are mean and whip cracking, theyre very nice people : ), but because after leaving the forces environment i need to feel like i am trusted to go out and do my job without people wanting to know where i am all the time, this was my main gripe about the army, being treated like a 6 year old going on 26 lol

I've also been told by a few other contracted guys like me, that they pretty much always extend contracts, and with the amount of work going on in the future (3 new sites and a massive new building that needs filling with machines and supporting in northampton) that there is a very strong chance that i'll get extended, which is good news as a contract running out on the 2nd of dec is never a good thing!

The only thing that i am disappointed about is that i really did under-sell myself, ended up getting 18k pa but the other 2 guys who are contracted by the same company are getting around the 25k mark i think, bit of a bad point but who knows, could be the reason i got the job, and in the current situation its better to be on 18k than 0k i guess, plus its a 6month contract so could get some sort of pay-rise in december, when i signed my contract the guy who had been my main POC said that i under-sold myself so they know and I know, could make it easier for me to get more money i guess.

Thanks to everyone on this site for all the help and advice that ive been either directly given or received by just reading around, i will take some form of membership in the future to give something back, but things are a bit tight atm for me with a 6 month old baby and dwindling money from my last army wage!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate.

Don't worry about the cash side of things just yet. Chances are if all goes well and they extend your contract (I'm sure they will) then you will probably get a pay increase.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

What Sparky said.

Also I would try to avoid talking about wages within organisation as there isn't anything to gain in knowing what other people earn. All it can do is to change your attitude or make other people jealous (depends on which side of the scale you are).

Other than that, great news! Do your best and learn what you can. Before end of your contract start looking around or try to find out if the extension is possible.

Congrats!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Sounds like a good place to work. They looking for more people there, 3rd line etc... I might be interested myself. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good stuff man! Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA