1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying For Multiple Jobs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Dec 12, 2007.

  1. Professor-Falken

    Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

    393
    2
    37
    I am applying for multiple jobs and waiting to hear from the one particular job that I need the most. What should I do if a company calls me and wants me to begin work and I am still waiting to hear from another company. Should I take the job then leave if the better one calls or should I ask them to wait until I hear from
    the job that I really like.

    I need your replys as soon as possible.

    Thank you,

    Jose Vizcaino
     
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Stoney

    Stoney Megabyte Poster

    731
    23
    69
    Well if I was an employer and I offered you a job and your response was, 'Can I wait and see if I get this other job first because I actually preferred the other job to yours', I would tell you to 'kiss it!'

    I undertsand your predicament, i'm sure everyone has been through this at one time or another when job hunting, but unfortunately you have to make the decision based on what will be best for you.

    If you really need a job, then it would make sense to take an offer as soon as you get one. You don't know for definite if you are going to get an offer from that dream job anyway. And if you turn down the first offer, and don't get another, then you've lost out completely.

    If you're not that desperate for a job, and are holding out for one in particular, then you could stall for a bit, or just decline the offer.

    Most jobs will start you on a probation period where you only need to give a weeks notice to terminate your contract. If you do get job offer, you could always take it and leave it if you get a better offer. That way you haven't lost out and you haven't burnt any bridges at the same time.

    Hope that helps. 8)
     
    Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

    greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

    14,283
    254
    329
    what stoney said.

    Also remember the grass isn't always greener or if its more money does not mean its a better job. Take into account which jobs have the best progression outcomes and which jobs will teach you more to progress even further.
     
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. rax

    rax Megabyte Poster

    684
    12
    59
    Do remember how difficult people find getting into the IT sector is. If you get offered a job, consider that you might not get any other call backs anyway. Even if the other job is more money or better prospects, once you have the experience you can move to a better job anyway.
     
    Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

    greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

    14,283
    254
    329
    That is a very good point Dave.
     
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Fergal1982

    Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

    4,196
    171
    211
    Personally? I would say neither.

    I think its unprofessional to take a job and then immediately leave for another job. Its one thing to stay in a job for a little while and then say, "you know what, this line of work just isnt for me. sorry to have wasted your time", its completely another thing to take a job and leave it a week later just because you've since been made a better offer. Once I accept a job, I decline any other jobs I'm offered, taking myself off the market.

    Likewise, as has been previously mentioned, if you are offered a job and ask for time to see if another job thats better is offered to you, you dont endear yourself to your employer. You could always ask for a few days (up to a week, but dont push it) to think it over. Then just call up the 'dream job' and talk to your contact. Just ask them what the status is, and politely ask if they intend to progress your offer. Often if you mention you have been given an offer, but are holding out as you would prefer their job, they will possibly step things up a little for you.
     
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Professor-Falken

    Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

    393
    2
    37
    If you do get job offer, you could always take it and leave it if you get a better offer. That way you haven't lost out and you haven't burnt any bridges at the same time.
    Ok then thats what I will do. I know it is legal but will the company that I leave look at it negatively?
    I need to know this.

    Professor Falken
     
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  8. Professor-Falken

    Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

    393
    2
    37
    Honestly this sounds like the most respectable thing to do. And is what I will probably do.
    Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you,

    Professor Falken
     
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

    greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

    14,283
    254
    329
    Yes it will be looked on in a negative way if you take a job then leave it after you have started because a better one has come along.

    As said if you are offered on but are waiting to hear from a better one ask the people who want to hire you if you can have a week before accepting the offer.

    But do bare in mind as also said above there are other people trying to get into IT and if you take a job with one place then leave for another you could be harming someone elses chances if they go for the same job as you and get knocked back because they want you for the job.
     
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

    BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

    19,136
    462
    374
    But... taking an offer and then leaving it for a better offer DOES burn a bridge. Certainly a company will look at that negatively.
     
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Professor-Falken

    Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

    393
    2
    37

    I have been contracted by a company to work for 5 months in an IT position. Its a good a position because I can gain some valuable experience. But I am also waiting for a call from a company that I really want to work for and they have expressed their interest in me and told me that they would be calling me back some time to schedule a second interview and begin training. As it stand I plan to begin the 5 month project and then if the other company calls me, I plan to give them a week notice of me leaving.
    I really need to do this because the other job I am waiting on is a permanent job and will pay my bills. But I need some advice of how to go about diplomatically.

    Thank you,
    Jose Vizcaino
     
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  12. onoski

    onoski Terabyte Poster

    3,120
    51
    154

    I know this would sound a bit abrupt but most companies would not blink before they fire you. In other words just be as trust worthy as best you can and when what's right comes for you in terms of the job I'd say go for it. Please, before anyone tries to shot at me remember we work to pay our bills and be responsible citizens to society and our families.:)

    I am in no way advocating lazy bums or slackness in the work place, as I personally give a 100% daily and this is no exaggeration. I would expect this from most professionals as well and not just in the world of IT.
     
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. Mr.Cheeks

    Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

    5,369
    85
    190
    Just remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side...
     
  14. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

    BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

    19,136
    462
    374
    Unfortunately, there's no good way to do it. You give notice, which will still upset the employer... or you don't give notice and you work it out, but you'll miss the other opportunity. Ultimately, you do what you have to do... just realize that there ARE people who will not like your decision if you quit in the middle of a contract.
     
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. wizard

    wizard Petabyte Poster

    5,763
    35
    174
    Prof,

    In that case, I would contact your 'dream' job and ask for a update before the situation arises with multiple offers.
     
    Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. Professor-Falken

    Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

    393
    2
    37
    Thanks for the advice. I really needed to hear that. I am going to follow this advice.

    Thanks again,

    Jose Vizcaino
     
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +

Share This Page

Loading...