Applying for a job but got no expereince, help.........

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by paulwatson5, May 22, 2011.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

OK, here goes........
    My firend works in an IT department for a National company and he advised me of a job going in the IT department.

I have been fixing, building, upgrading pc's etc for 13 years now but dont have any certs to show what i know nor do i have any IT job experience.

I have just about finished studying for the CompTIA A+ exams and i have the exam booked for the first week in July (its the earliest i can get time of work to do the exams!!) and im next going to be doing the Network + followed by the MCITP Windows 7 support exams.

I have all that wrote on my CV along with a line along the lines of "I will also fund what other training you would require me to do" as i dont expect an IT company to take a chance on me and for me expect them to pay for the training also!!

Here is the job description, any help would be much appreciated...

IT Support Technician

Responsibilities

To act as primary point of contact between the Users and IT Services.
    Respond to questions and issues via telephone, email and walk-in’s. Areas required to become familiar with include (but not limited to);
    Citrix
    Printers
    Operating systems
    Standard Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook etc)
    Networking (Wide Area & Local)
    Blackberries & Mobile Phones
    With the other members of IT Services, develop IT Helpdesk process and procedures.
    Logging of issues on the IT Helpdesk and, where not able to resolve, allocate these onto the other members of IT Team for action.
    Manage the Active Directory;
    Creation of new user logins and email accounts.
    Deletion and archiving of leavers and old accounts.
    IT Policy User Acceptance matching to Active Directory.
    Ordering of Services and Equipment and, where applicable, the use of any online ordering tools.
    Process and check equipment delivered to site against equipment ordered and complete internal paperwork.
    Process any faulty equipment through the relevant warranty and support channels.
    Manage the transfer of equipment to other offices.
    Liaise with Property Accountant to maintain the Fixed Asset database of IT Equipment.
    Learn and develop skills in the operations of commonly used software, hardware and other equipment.
    Systems and Network Monitoring and subsequent troubleshooting.
    Manage the nightly backup process;
    Ensure tapes are ready for backup and previous nights tapes are removed and readied to be taken offsite.
    Check backup logs to ensure successful completion and maintain the Tape Backup Log.
    Process any requests for data restores.
    Build and configuration of equipment such as PC’s, laptops, terminals and printers.
    Liaise with internal and external support groups on projects and daily operational tasks.
    Weekly Reporting Tasks;
    IT Helpdesk Statistics
    New User Requests
    Websense Web Filtering
    Work on ad-hoc or new projects as required.

General Requirements

Minimum of 2 years first line support experience in a commercial environment.
    Must have experience with Microsoft products.
    Exposure to Citrix an advantage.
    Friendly and helpful attitude; good interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others.
    Ability to provide first level technical support over the phone with good phone skills in a professional manner.
    Ability to handle constantly changing flow of work; remain productive during quiet periods; be able to multitask effectively during busy times, exercise patience and professionalism during stressful situations.
    Ability to work responsibly with or without direct supervision.
    Willing to work outside of normal office hours and at weekends if required.
    Comfortable with potential frequent travel to holiday parks.
    Happy to perform physical tasks such as desk moves, equipment relocation etc.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. melhiore

melhiore Bit Poster

You should be fine. I do not see anything regarding formal qualifications in General Requirements section... As long as employer values experience which you say you have, there should not be a problem. Get some references as well - this may help...

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, CCNA Security, CompTIA N+,S+, CWTS/CWNA
  3. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Hi Paul,

I personally woudn't put this on my CV, It's great that you are studying for certs and funding these on your own but, should you get the job and the employer requires training to get you up to spec then they should be the one funding this.

Of the job description, how much are you aware of the tech mentioned? Do you know what active directory is and how it is used?

It does state a Minimum of 2 years experience is needed.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  4. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Well my friend who currently works there is also interviewing the possible employee's so i will have to impress him and his boss.

I know it says 2 years expereince but i hope that my 13 years of home experience and i have also done work on the side for local schools and offices etc.

I know about 80% of the tech stuff, the only stuff i dont know is Blackberrys (but i have a Blackberry Bold 9700 so could learn pretty quickly) and Citux but i have used VMWare which they also use.

I didnt have much experience of using Active Directory etc but i have just built up a Dual Core machine from spare parts and installed Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise so i can teach myself a few things so i know what im talking about if i get an interview.

The only reason why i was going to put about me funding the training was if it came down to 2 people and they wanted to employ me but i didnt have the certs that the other person had so hiring me would have cost them money from the start. Just dont wanna seem like i wanna job there to get trained up then leave, just shows a bit comitment i thought.

I have setup a Domain on the server but having a few problems with the DNS etc but im going to mess around with it and look into the add/remove users etc and permissions.

My friend also went through all of the software etc that they use at the company so i can name drop that i know the software well etc.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
    Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

But do you know the software well?

I should also point out that your friend shouldn't interview you due to conflict of interests (he knows you and could be biased), he 'should' notify his bosses that you are a friend and as such be excused from interviewing you specifically.

VMware in the house (I am assuming workstation here) is vastly different from VMware in the Enterprise, it's like saying you know how to configure your home DSL router to change it's DHCP scope so you know how to configure a Cisco Catalyst 6509, they are both networking devices but completely different in terms of operations and configurations.

My advice? Be yourself, explain why you want to get into IT and don't BS because you will always get found out if you BS and there is nothing worse than being asked a question about something you're supposed to know (after all you said so on your CV or interview) and don't have a clue about it really.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

Dont worry about the network+ but make sure you have the A+ and the microsoft certs. Likelyhood is that others applying for this position will have at least those qualifications, good luck

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC