Applying for 2 jobs at the same company

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Mar 30, 2015.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi folks,

Is it bad practice to apply for 2 roles at the same company?

The company in question I really want to work for, and they have 1st and 2nd line job opportunities. I am currently a 3rd line desktop engineer but I am missing a lot of the experience they ask for in the 2nd line role. The first line role I am more than competent of doing, and it offers the same amount of money I am currently on. I don't mind starting at the bottom and working my way up, if it meant working for the company in question.

The second line role asks for things like server and exchange experience, which I do not have. As I work for a large organisation we have particular teams for each of these. Obviously I use servers each day, but only to access other services on (WSUS & GPO). Should I mention server experience on my CV? I am wary of doing so.

Thanks again,

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No it isn't bad practice to apply for 2 roles at the same company (unless it is stated that your application will be considered for alternative posts). This is mainly due to HR practices, if you do not fit the job specification for one job most companies (unless they are small) will get rid of it (due to data protection, etc) - smaller companies may use your one application form for multiple vacancies as they may have the time...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security