Apply for ordinary office job but help with IT? Foot in the door?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Dec 8, 2008.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

What do other members think of this idea?
    I apply for ordinary office jobs but emphasise my IT skills in any interviews, suggesting that I could 'help out' with the IT. Would I get my foot in the door in the IT industry?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Never seen it done before.

Might work in a small company though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There are two ways to think about this:

1. They will be happy about this, they will let you dual role (or at least job shadow during quiet periods).

2. They won't be happy with this, they'll see this as only a stepping stone for you where if you get the job, but don't get to work with IT, you'll just leave at the first opportunity.

I do have to say that it is one way to get into IT. A few years before I got into IT, I was contacted by the IT manager who heard that I was studying IT in the evenings (when I was doing agency office work for a very large company in Watford) and we started to talk about a job opening, however it didn't lead to anything as I wanted to get into programming and not support (as that was what I was studying).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It depends on what the job role entails, and whether there will be a conflict of interests.

Will you be dual contracted to each department? If you are only volunteer shadowing, then expect to work out of hours, and possibly not for any OT, as the department may not want any extra strain on their budget.

When I used to work in sales, they tried to draft a contract that had me working in sales and providing on site IT support - but in peak sales periods, the interests of each department would have been compromised by the priorities required from the other.

If you're going for office jobs, and they only state office work, then I wouldn't emphasise the point too much in interview TBH. If you're overkeen on the IT side, they may not give you the job as they'll obviously see themselves as a stepping stone. Just my 2c.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I think you might be better off trying to get a proper job in IT, if you have the desire and skills. Let's say that you are able to find an office job that "helps out" with IT. How does that really help you find a real IT job later? You'd have a hard time explaining to a future employer that you have actual IT experience. At best, you'd probably be preparing yourself for an easier entry into entry level IT. That being said, if you can get a foot in the door at a company you like and that company itself has openings, then maybe it's not a bad way to get in. But, I think you'd be better off applying for proper IT jobs.

6. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Don't emphasise the IT skills as it could put off a potential employer, after all they want someone to administrate and not be treating it as a stepping stone.

If you do end up in an office job and have access to a little IT support/help work, then do put it down on your CV. That's what I did and it helped me get a more IT- based position further down the line. You're not going to learn lots but it may help a little.

7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

It may help, but the trick will be to really emphasize how an 'ordinary' office job was able to get you experience with in the IT field.

Without tipping off any alarms in an interview for a offic job, I'd advise getting more IT education under your belt during employment to help show where your interests are.

8. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

If you need the office job for financial reasons, focus on getting that first. Don't put the employer off. Once you are in and settled, then maybe get to know the IT people, and offer your assistance. Also ask them for advice - show your keen, but your not after their jobs. I took a temp. admin job as an admin assistance, and after a while, got moved to IT, so it can happen.

If you can afford to not take it, I.e. you have a job currently, or this would be a second income for your household that you don't need, I'd concentrate on your studies and looking for an entry level IT job.

Best of luck

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Personally, I would advise that you look for a job in 1st line support i.e. call logging or helpdesk. Why waste time doing anything else?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...