Application forms - yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by damo101, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hey Fergal, wasn't having a go. I just re-read my post and realised that perhaps not everyone would realise what I was talking about. :D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry I'm late...

The long and short of it is, if you don't fill in the form you don't get the job - so tough if you don't like them.

As ex-HR, I can say that the reason for application forms is to standardise the application process and make sifting out the rubbish easier.
    If you specify a level of education in your job ad, than you can quickly sort through the application forms and check the 'education' box on the front.
    It's easier than sifting through several hundred CVs that all have education history in different places (and sometimes not at all).

No, I don't like filling them in either...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

baba. nope. i would have known what it meant if id seen it (although those poor boys in the US might not have stood a chance).

I agree though, you cant get the job it you dont apply. that said, im sure most people (especially those who are jobhunting) find application forms make them think hard about whether they actually want the job - which i suppose is another benefit of the forms. *grumble*

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. There are application forms that, as bad as I want a job, made me toss them in the round file rather than filling them out. The ones that I have tossed were all for law enforcement or government positions.

When an application form gets to be a small book it's time to rethink whether or not you're really interested in that job because of what it portends as to the paperwork, policies, and politics at play in that environment.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1