Application forms - yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by damo101, Jan 25, 2006.

1. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

Hey folks,
    if you apply for a job and receive an application form, does this put you off applying. Personally i can't be bothered filling then in 9/10 of the time because they're so repetitive.
    I suppose this is a way the employer can filter thru only the really interested people, but are they missing out?

Just curious to see what people think.

Damo

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  2. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

Hi. My employer does not deal with application forms. I had a quick interview over the phone and then a meeting in person. I think applications can be a good laugh sometime especially when you put silly answers e.g sex - As often as i can. But back to the original question Yes I find application form off putting especially when most of them now are 5 pages or more.

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

MOst application forms are a way of placing the candidates on a level playing field.

CV's and covering letters can take many different forms and have information all over the place, but but making everyone fill in an application form the recruiter can easilly compare the skills that each candidate has.

Usually in the aplication form there is a section for a supporting statement, this can be the maker or breaker, as this is where your communication skills are assessed as well as your competencies and reasons behind wanting the position.

8)

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

if wanted the job and they sent me a form YES i would fill it out! You the one loosing out if at the end you still dont have a job! :dry

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Em

Em Bit Poster

I totall agree with you, it is a pain and feel like i'm repeating myself, but if I really want the job i do fill it out as I don't want to lose out. I don't think they are losing out as they do benifit the dedicated applicants. :D

Certifications: Diploma level3 Web Design?
    WIP: CIW
  6. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Filling in application forms is one of my pet hates - but would you really pass up a chance of a job you wanted because they sent you an application form?

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I can't stand filling the things in, and I'd be worried about anyone who enjoyed it.

One tip I would offer though as I have done this several times now. I scan them in, then import the images into publisher and overlay my answers (in text) over the scanned image.

Looks neat, you don't need continuation forms for some of the open ended questions as printed words are much smaller than handwriting etc...

Has worked well for me in the past. I think it also shows the employer that you are a little different and have made an effort.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

I probably fill in about 10% of the ones I get, if feels like being back in school doing homework (English essays with a dollop of fiction :biggrin ). I can see the advantages of them for employers - weeding out time wasters and creating a way to readily compare applicants. It just seems a protratcted way of doing things - send out a form to someone, they fill it in and send it back, and expensive too - the printing and postage and also the forms that don't get filled in.

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Personally I found using application forms to be very useful when interviewing potential employees. It is a standard form, so the interviewer knows where to look to find the right information. CVs are all different and it can be difficult to conduct an interview using them. If they ask for an application form, it means your CV has interested them, so it is a good sign.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I hate them, especially the generic forms that are sent out for any vacancy the company may have. Who cares what qualifications I got at school?

Personally I prefer applying for jobs that ask for the applicant to send their C.V. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

Hmm.... interesting.

I was thinking about this very thing, and couldn't quite make my mind up.

On one hand it certainly will be nice and neat and legible, and perhaps also show that you can operate some software apps.

On the other hand, do some HR people not actually try to read something into your scrawl - sorry - handwriting?

I would prefer to submit the form in the way you describe, but I wouldn't like to second guess whether the HR people would write you off as a smart ass :blink

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is true, HR people are going to want to see your writing skills. That is the idea!

13. Japanese Elvis

So would your advice be to submit forms in your own hand?

I'm actually in the process of filling out an application form at the moment.

I downloaded it in PDF format, managed to crack the security on it to unlock it, and have been filling it in nice and neatly.

Like I said, I'm not sure whether this is actually a good idea. I know it'll look ok, but perhaps hand written is better???

On the other hand, what do they expect from prospective tech staff?? :biggrin

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes, I think you should write it in your own hand. Also, cracking their PDF security is not going to win you any prizes :blink Make sure your spelling and grammar are correct. Nothing looks worse than a badly written application form.

15. Japanese Elvis

Thanks for the advice.

I'm getting the same kind of line from my wife, and - though it pains me to say it - she's usually right.

Handwritten it is.

16. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Last year I was looking at a job with the Polis for a mobile PC engineer. The Application form was full of David Brent style management speak and "Blue Sky Thinking" and was about twelve pages thick. It went straight in the bin. I thought, if there's this much paperwork and jargon to get through just to get the job, how much will there be in the job? That's the only one I've never bothered filling in.

I hate the application forms you get for crappy jobs like cleaning toilets and stacking shelves (not that I'm saying they aren't valued, just not my ideal job) and the application forms say things like "Why do you want this job? What do you feel you'll bring to the company?" I feel like putting "I need the fricking money and I've got the minimum required IQ to run a mop over a floor. What more do you want?" :twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  17. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

you think application forms are bad? try the police's 12 pages long. they wanted your addresses for the last 10 years, your name and address, your partners, your parents, etc. bloody tiring

Generally application forms DO put me off. they certainly make me think twice. if i really want the job then ill apply, but if i dont then ill just leave it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  18. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

I'm definitely the same as the 2 posters above - i've filled in my first application form in about 3 years lastnight,but have gotten loads that went straight into the bin. I think it's easier to do just the occaisional one, that way the "novelty" doesn't wear off!

19. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Fergal, see my previous post: Polis = Police. That's what I'm talking about, it was the size my A+ book!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  20. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

sorry baba. didnt even see the post before i posted.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present