Application as a service.........

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stoney, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

How do you set a program to run on a windows based computer so that it runs regardless of the user that has logged on, and starts prior to user logons, starts at system startup and closes on shut down?

I think it has something to do with running the application as a service but i'm not to sure? I may be wrong but was wondering how you would go about configuring an application to behave in this manner.

Cheers,

Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Paul,

Yes, this is done from within the local security settings (admin tools). > User rights assignments.
    selecting "act as part of the operating system" will allow you to add a user or group account to do just that.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I thought any application would need this functionality built into it, like VNC etc, which has an option to 'run as a service' - i do not think that you can do this with all applications but maybe there is a way?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There is a tool that will 'wrap' many apps and turn them into a 'service'. There are a number of restrictions on what it can do but it *does* work.

If you can't find it soon give me a shout and I'll look - but it is about 6 years since I used it. After that I wrote services *as* services!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Boyce: Thanks for that but i'm not to sure if that's what i'm looking for?

What i'm getting at really is that I currently have a program that runs on a server, but for this program to run I have to have a user logged in all the time. This is done through a console session on VNC because then it doesn't tie up a terminal server license.

The problem being that if my server restarts I have to manually restart the VNC session and then start the program through the VNC user.

Apart from setting up something that notifies me of a server reboot I was investigating what other options there are to automatically restart the program, ideally as part of the system.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Stoney,

it really depends on the program. i installed something recently on a workstation which needed exactly what you describe - the programmers had taken this onboard.
    from within the services, you can right click > properties and then select the log on spec. you can then make the user the app is using to "act as part of the operating system. the idea being, even if the user isn't logged on, the app will run.

i also placed this machine in it's own ou that has the "log off and shutdown" button removed

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT