Apple patents a SIM you can't remove

Discussion in 'News' started by Apexes, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Apple patents a SIM you can't remove

Apple has been awarded a US patent on an embedded SIM capable of switching between mobile network operators under command from Cupertino, assuming the operators comply.

The patent places an embedded SIM within the secure element which one would expect to see managing electronic payments, which is why it was spotted by NFC World. Its editor, Sarah Clark, realised the significance of the patent and how it validates last year's rumours that Apple was planning a cross-network SIM-less handset.

Full Story here

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      and there was me thinking what made handsets bulky was gimmicky large touch screens, keyboards, batteries, and over powered processors, but no its the tiny bit of plastic that you slide in...

My old 'just a phone' handset is still half the size of the current handsets on the market, takes less time to boot, runs for days without a charge, doesn't have weird reception issues, and only cost $10.

Can't see this happening any time soon, even with a company with as much muscle as Apple.
    2. supernova
      supernova
      Apple are really turning into the next evil corporate giant, its interesting that they have chosen to go down the path which they once criticised. History repeating itself.
    3. supernova
      supernova
      I think your probably right with this example, especially as Apple have started to sell unlocked iPhones. However, Apple do like to lock you into things generally.