Apple passes Microsoft to be biggest tech company

Discussion in 'News' started by UKDarkstar, May 28, 2010.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Apple passes Microsoft to be biggest tech company

Apple has pushed past arch-rival Microsoft to become the world's biggest technology company.

Changes in the share price values of the two in Wednesday's choppy trading left the total value of Apple at $222bn (£154bn).

Microsoft is now valued by investors at $219bn.

However, Microsoft still enjoys higher profits than Apple. Its most recent annual net profit was $14.6bn (£10bn), compared with $5.7bn for Apple.

Microsoft also reported bigger full-year revenues of $58.4bn, with Apple on $36.5bn.

Apple's shares closed Wednesday trading down 0.4% at $244.11, while Microsoft fell by 4% to $25.01.

iPhone boost

The value of a listed company, known as market capitalisation, is calculated by multiplying the number of shares in a company by the current share price.

Apple, which makes computers, iPods, iPhones and now iPads, almost went out of business in the 1990s.

Full story : HERE

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      Didn't MS bail them out in the 90's?

Oh, the irony...
    2. JK2447
      JK2447
      Yep, 103 million dollars I think they lent them. I was reading that Apple shares are worth ten times what they were ten years ago. If only I'd sunk a few quid in when I was 20 :cry:
    3. danielno8
      danielno8
      I'm pretty sure i read in article MS net profits were still double Apple's so i don't expect MS to be too worried :)
    4. JohnBradbury
      JohnBradbury
      Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Microsoft own part of Apple?
    5. Josiahb
      Josiahb
      Information seems to be fairly confused and conflicting, but if Microsoft do still own any Apple stock its in the region of 0.0046% of the company.

They did buy $150 million dollars of non-voting Apple stock as part of a cross licensing deal but that all appears to have been sold off.

EDIT: oh and that non-voting stock was apparently nowhere near being a bailout as Apple still had a hefty chunk of funds in the bank at the time.
      Last edited: May 28, 2010
    6. DrHogg
      DrHogg
      Sooner or later Apple are going to fall foul of DoJ just as Microsoft did, then watch what happens. :) Everyone's eyes are on Google, especially after this wifi blunder, but it's Apple who are running a locked down, tied in, monopolistic system.

.. I wonder if Adobe have whined to the DoJ.

A lot of people seem to be focusing on the share price, but share price means very little given that the markets are driven by two and only two things: greed and fear. Eventually greed runs out due to xyz reason(s) and gives way to fear, or fear subsides and gives way to greed.

People have been greedy over AAPL for a long time now, I would go so far as to say that by the end of 2012 AAPL's share price will be half of what it is now.. We'll see.
    7. JohnBradbury
      JohnBradbury
      I agree... how dare they supply safari pre-installed, and can't I have a copy for the EU without the built in music player installed?

They will see what Microsoft had to put up with soon enough..
    8. Sco0t
      Sco0t
      Should listen to the D8 Confrence podcast, talks to Steve Jobs about Apple & Microsoft and them overtaking market value
    9. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      I don't agree
      Apple dropped 'Computers' from their brand years ago to get the message across that they were a consumer electronics company, not a computer/tech company

funny how they are a tech company again as soon as their market cap peaks though ;)