Apple Mac's + linux

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 23, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Has anyone used Linux Distro on apple mac's?

I was told the new mac's that are intel based were designed not to run Linux distro's?

My mate's just bought a new apple mac and wants to instal linux, but the only one I can remember using is yellow dog.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I'm not sure about the new Intel breed. It has always tickled me that people running osx or panther want to run linux. I always thought the Mac OS was the best of both worlds......

Si (waiting to be put right :biggrin )

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I don't think you can run a straight Linux distro on a Mac, but OS X is based of FreeBSD and there are a few *nix-type features available. For starters, I believe OS X comes with Samba pre-installed. You can also access different command-line shells including Bash. You can also recompile most *nix apps to run on OS X and there's a program that will Unix apps directly called X11. I think I also heard you can get a different GUI but I might be lying about that.

Basically, as Si said, you get the best of, not just both worlds, but all worlds what with Boot Camp letting you install Windows.

The question I would ask your mate is why buy a Mac just to run Linux when a PC less that half of the price would happily run most Linux distros?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

OS X is the dogs wotnots! - Si, two week Mac user! :biggrin

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Exactly my point. I take a good spec Intel/AMD as perfect, because you can run Windows and *nix.
    Just my 2p :biggrin

Si

6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I is Jealous Si, wish I could afford one at the moment. Have you installed Windows on it too? If you have, how does it run?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I know a few people who use Mac's. They have all said, once you make the change there is no going back. One person uses both (Windows and OSX) about 50/50 and says Windows isn't in the same league!

Si

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

No I havent, Well I sort of have, but havent! :blink

I bought the Mac to get away from windows as my everyday OS, so I thought what would be the point in installing Bootcamp and dual booting. I tried that with Linux and always ended up using Windows because I knew it.

What I have done is to install Parallels desktop onto it so that I can run VM's, of which I currently have a 2k server and XP machine setup. But these are mainly for study / work / testing, and not to use everyday.

8)

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

It's not just linux he wants to use, he wants a dual boot option, because he wants to do the linux cert :biggrin

There is no question that there is a problem with MAC OS, he is very please with the MAC software, but it is his only computer. So will he have to buy a PC to learn linux?

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I read that there are only about three games that run on a Mac. If that is the case, why bother with one :rolleyes:

A computer is supposed to be able to do a multitude of things and playing games is way up there with a lot of people including IT pros. Also, they may well come bundled with loads of applications which people may not be interested in, like garage band for example. To me, you should only have installed applications which you use, otherwise you are just clogging up space and resources.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Tell your friend to download the latest Ubuntu (6.06, dapper drake) and try it on an old machine. If it runs all the hardware, just click install from the live desktop and you are away!

Si

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just to answer the original question as far as I'm aware there aren't many distro's that can run on the intel Mac, but Red Hat are planning to make one that does, as I'm sure are others.

See my previous post in reference to Parallels.

8)

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Only three games? surely not I heard that you can get Call of duty 2 on the MAC and it's graphics and gameplay completely blows away the PC version!

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Like what?

Si (Waiting to be shot :snipersmi

15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

With reference to Parallels, does it not state on that web link that parallel is only for MS windows and mac windows but not linux?

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The software runs on Windows or Mac, but not Linux. However it does support Linux VM's. 8)

18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Err like what?

What are we talking about?

Are we all missing the point. I agree with you Si on yes buying an old PC and then running Linux would be good, but it seems odd they don't offer more certs for macs?

There must be business or job market out there that are looking for IT pro's with technical knowledge of MAC's and their S/W?

:confused3 :what?

19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for making that clear :biggrin

What graphic card do you have on your mac?

DO YOU THINK THE GAMES ARE BLINDING -- OOH i'VE GONE ALL BIG LETTERS :biggrin

20. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

They do: Apple Certs

Can you tell I did some homework before buying my Mac!!! :p