Apple expected to launch iPhone 5

Discussion in 'News' started by GiddyG, Oct 4, 2011.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Apple expected to launch iPhone 5

Apple is expected to launch the fifth version of its best-selling iPhone today.

Journalist have been invited to a "Let's talk iPhone" event at its California campus due to start at 10:00 PDT (18:00 BST).

Doubts surround how different the iPhone 5 will be to its predecessor though some do expect big changes.

The launch will be hosted by Tim Cook, now Apple's full time boss following Steve Jobs' retirement in August.

Full Story here

porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Boffy
      Boffy
      First announcement by Tim, its going to be BIG! 8)
    2. juice142
      juice142
      iphone 4s. Pfffft. :rolleyes:
    3. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      Meh. I wasn't impressed to be honest. The specs seem to be marginal over the 4.

I was intrigued by Siri, but the site lists it as "4S" - so it's doubtful that they are going to release it to the iPhone 4. Shame really, as it look pretty decent - although they have to have something to make people want the 4S.
    4. Boffy
      Boffy
      Yeah I was pretty gutted, however I'm due an update on the 11th so might as well wait.

Depending on the cost, I might just get a 4G - no doubt the missus will want to give me her Sony Experia as she hasn't been getting on with it anyway :(
    5. JonnyMX
      JonnyMX
      I'm wondering if Apple have really dropped a b*ll*ck here.

New product launches have always been a thing of hype and excitement, now comes along one that isn't new and doesn't even have Jobs' charisma behind it to carry it off.

New launch from a new boss - they should have given him something big to get him off the ground.

We're all just thinking now 'so what'?

:rolleyes:

Having said that, there is a market out there for an iphone that you can disconnect from the mains at some point during the day so that you can walk around with it, like you know, some sort of mobile phone...

:biggrin
    6. 1/4
      1/4
      Won't be any of the iPhones then judging by this Apple (United Kingdom) - iPhone - Compare aside from having "Retina display" as a technical specification (lol what?) the new iPhone 4S gained a meager 1 hour battery whilst running on 3G and lost a hundred hours off it's standby capability.

I've never really got on with Apple or it's mentality but this one just takes the biscuit - better battery? Where is that number to trading standards!
    7. Theprof
      Theprof
      The 4S does have new hardware, the A5 dual core cpu and dual core GPU which should be interesting to see what they do software/games wise for it. Also like Fergal mentioned, Siri does look pretty cool, very curious to see how its going to work. The Antenna issues seem to have been worked on as well..

It is kind of disappointing that the phones look identical to the iPhone 4 but it is what is...
    8. Fergal1982
      Fergal1982
      Yeah, what's the point in having a new iPhone unless it's obvious and you can lord it over everyone you meet?

I'd upgrade to it from the 4, but not for much money. Certainly not as much as I had to pay for an iPhone 4. Although I'm near the limit of the 16GB memory on this one, perhaps the 32GB might be better.

It just seems to be like most of the real benefits of the 4S are derived from software - most of which the 3GS and the 4 are getting too.
    9. Theprof
      Theprof
      I guess they're just holding off for iPhone 5 for the real change... It kind of looks like the iPhone 4S is was just put out to keep up with the competition because they features they included are already available on other phones... Hopefully the iPhone 5 is going to be a big change for the better.