App V

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Jul 2, 2017.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Does any one use this in their environment?

We are heading that way and all this week mainly I will be using it to create and publish apps

This may be a bit more challenging as our dept has tons of software but its all experience at the end of the day

If anyone has any tips/tricks, feel free to share them

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Ed

Yes I use this at work, although not fired it up recently. We have more of a hybrid layout for the school in that the apps used in the various depts are loaded onto their machines, but I try to virtualise the apps onto our Xendesktop farm. The obviously depends on the app and what resources it need from the VM. Looked at publishing them through the citrix DDC's so the kids could use the apps on their own laptops, but unless they have the appv client installed it wouldn't work.

Tips, make sure you use exactly the same OS right down to 32/64bit, same service pack/patch level, same version of office (unless you are virtualising that as well). I use a VM to do the appv process on so I can get the image to the same as the targets and then snapshot it with the appv client installed. Then when you've finished you can just return the image back to where you started.

Also make sure you document, with screen shot the whole process. I've got a recipe guide at work and I'll try to put it up here.

Hope that helps :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
    JK2447 likes this.
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers for the reply AJ

I work in a different dept to IT services however they gave me a licence for vmware workstation pro, I get to create the package but to push it out I have to let them know and they will send it out and I test it.

With our build we have a ton of software so it is going to be interesting. I know we cant virtualise programs that run from an exe, such as programs like Alice and stuff like that.

Does it make it all easier? I know one app I will have trouble with, Android Studio, so I am testing that now

Our OS build will be win 10 64 bit across the board,

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680