APIPA question

Discussion in 'A+' started by robbo1962, Apr 29, 2007.

1. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

Hi all, i am having problems understanding this part, if i understand this correctly in Windows 2000 and XP if you cannot access a DHCP to obtain an IP Address your computer generates its own one in the range 169,254,0,0 to 169,254,255,254 and is class B and can only communicate with computers on the same subnet, IF i have this right (please correct me if not so) doesn't that provide a great restriction on what you have access to? Also what would happen in a Windows 9x situation where there was no access to a DHCP ? Thanks Gary

Certifications: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, it is restrictive as APIPA does not define a default gateway therefore the traffic cannot be routed to other subnets or the internet. The whole point of APIPA is if you wanted a small LAN to communicate with hosts on the same LAN but there is no DHCP source.

As for Windows 9x as long as the NIC is configured to obtain an IP address automatically you will get a 169 IP. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hi Robbo

Basically, an APIPA will not provide you with much connectivity at all!

It is a way of assigning basic network connectivity in lieu of either a statically assigned address or one provided by DHCP. In practice, you will see this when the NIC has been assigned to obtain an IP address automatically, but no DHCP server is present. As such it usually indicates a network connectivity issue - which is why one of the first things you need to do when troubleshooting a network problem is to run IPCONFIG and see what address the NIC is using. If its a 169.254.x.x address, then pound to a penny you have a problem getting an address via DHCP

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

Thanks for the replies, good point about being useful on a LAN Sparky, did'nt think of that. Thanks again. Gary

Certifications: A+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In fact Win9x also produces an APIPA address in the same circumstances as Win2k. i.e. when the machine is set to get an address automaticaly and no DHCP server can be found.

Don't forget that if you have a network on a routable IP network, and no DHCP, then you would manualy allocate and set the IP address and it will work just fine.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

The windows 9x has to be 98. Windows 95 does not support APIPA.
    [from technet]
    When you connect to the host, the guest computer uses an address from the pool and the host computer uses the fixed IP address assigned to it. A fixed, assigned IP address is useful when a computer cannot handle automatic address assignment. This might occur when a computer is still running Windows 95, for example.
    [/technet]

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Oops! Thanks for the correction. In mitigation I plead that it has been a *very* long time since I used Win95!
    :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+