1. davedmb

davedmb New Member

hi everybody, this is my first post since introducing myself, a friend has just signed up with sky for there tv and broadband package, everything is fine with sky the problem is AOL who are his isp and wont give him the MAC code, they say he is contracted with them until october and must wait until then, has anybody else been in a similar situation ?, or could anybody suggest a way round this problem thanks

WIP: A+
  2. cHk4

cHk4 Nibble Poster

AFAIK and this could be wrong but when you sign up with a broadband provider most are a one year contract. So this could be why. Like I said I could be wrong

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCTS
  3. iain14

iain14 Bit Poster

ive been in this postion and did recieve my mac code but they still make you pay to the end of your contract, so he might aswell stay till the end unless he's happy with losing a few pound.

i have also heared that if you tell them your moving house and when they disconnect you, you can change to a new isp.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: CCNA,
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

cue BM...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am with AOL you are contracted for 12 months, AOL can make you still pay untill then end of the contract but I cant see why they wont give the code.

Your mate might have to phone them up and say I will still pay untill the end of the contract but give me the code so I can move ISP

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. davedmb

davedmb New Member

thanks for the help everybody

WIP: A+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This is standard practice for AOL.

Link to Information

That said, your friend must claim a share of the responsibility for this mess, because it's not just AOL's fault. If your friend signed a contract with AOL through October, then he's legally responsible to pay that contract. Always, always, ALWAYS read the terms of the contract and be sure you agree with them ALL before signing.

I only provide information; people can do with it as they wish. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!