AOL broadband install problem

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by flex22, Aug 9, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

A colleague at work has been informing me of his father's problems installing AOL broadband.
    I gave him some general advice about checking connections/filters etc.
    I offered to visit his father's office, but he said he was alright for now.

Anyway today he told me that he'd rang AOL on behalf of his father but that the 'customer service' was horrid and he's actually going to write a complaint, as the woman who answered was quite rude and disinterested.
    That's how he told it, and I'm inclined to believe him.

So he decided to take me up on my offer and has asked me to visit the office
    and try and get AOL broadband installed.

I've never setup broadband through AOL, so need some advice and troubleshooting tips.
    I've a feeling that it's going to be a simple solution, but best to be prepared.
    My colleague has been pretty vague about the actual problem.He says that it gets to a certain point going through the setup wizard, but his father doesn't know what to do next.
    He's told me also that the green lights haven't turned on, so broadband isn't initialized I believe.

Can you guys throw some advice into the pot so that I can use it if needed.

2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well like u said flex make sure the line has been enabled and I am guessing they are using the BT Voyager 100 modem cos I have the same one and AOL use it too as BT sell them to AOL or something like that. Also you want to check how many telephone points they have in the house and if they have either Sky digital or digital phones not to mention any extension cables. If they have more than one telephone point then a filter needs to go in each one before anything else is plugged into them. if they have one point and using an extension cable they must have the extension cable plugged into the phone line first and then the filter and anything else they want to plug into it. if the green lights are coming on but only one of them is check device manager for anything remotely beginning with SiS, VIA or Intel in the USB Controllers section as this can als cause a problem with the BT Voyager modem (I should know I use to work at BT Broadband) now I think that is everything. anything else just ask. HTH. :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Yep that's the one.It was on the tip of my tongue, couldn't recall it during my first post though.
    It's in an office, his father's office.I should have asked the setup really.
    I don't know whether he works for himself, share's the office with other people etc.
    I'll see him at work tomorrow, and ask then.
    I hope it's a simple setup, like a home one.

Thanks so far Noelg24.Keep advice coming everybody.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Only thing I'd add to Noel's advice is:

1.) Make sure the line HAS in fact been fully activated. He would have received a "commit date" from AOL advising him of this.

2.) No matter how much he moans, make him try the PC and modem connected to the main BT Master socket. This is the main point of entry of BT's wires, and as such, will rule out any internal wiring on the premises. Could save him £150 engineer's fee down the line if it comes to that.

3.) Test with ALL other telephony removed from the line, inc fax machines. Are any alarm systems using the same line ?

4.) Try different modem and filter, if this can be arranged. If need be, take the modem to your own house and test it on that- we know that it is working.

5.) Try a full uninstall/re-install of the modem. Can often be the cause. Check encapsulation, VPI/VCI and Modulation are as stipulated by ISP. Lastly, ffs make sure he is entering correct u/name and pass, I HATE when that's the cause - bloody "pilot error" :x

OK, so I added more than I meant, but it ain't gonna hurt to check.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

sounds like good advice, but i would have to disagree with noel on the filters here im afraid. we have two phone points in our flat, and only one actually has a filter on it, the other has a sky box and a phone connected to it, and we have no problems. infact, i found that a filter in the second box simply slowed the broadband connection down!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Fergal, that might be the case if you were using G.LITE as your Modulation protocol instead of G.DMT Unfortunately, using G.LITE has a big overhead on your connection speed, although you CAN connect without a filter, and with all manner of normally problematic stuff on the line.

Do you know what Modulation type your using ?

7. Fergal1982

my router is set to autosense, but try g.dmt first! other than that, no idea! now you mention it tho, we have some interference over the voiceline when the router is active!

would the provider limit which protocol you could use?

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Almost certainly, m8 - I believe all ISPs in this country specify an encapsulation protocol of pppoA/pppoATM/VC-MUX/RFC 2364 (or any comination of these)

9. Fergal1982

ok, i switched the router to protocol only using G.DMT, and i still have a connection going without the second filter! i assume then that the provider allows dmt usage.

EDIT: ok, i really dont understand this, or how/why the extra filter should make much of a difference, care to elaborate for me guys?

Fergal

10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ok you used a very very dirty word flex, tell him if he wants the internet he shouldnt be using *** (see its censored) lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

lol:!: Jak, that is exactly what I suspect the problem is.Like I said, I suspect it's going to be something simple, hopefully:!:
    Lol I've been waiting for that post.
    :soz guys :wasntme

Edit: Found out today that the guys gone on Holiday.Ahh well, I've told them that when there ready, let me know.

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hah ! Sounds of flEX breathing a sigh of relief, cos he's bought more time on this one :biggrin

Kidding, m8 - keep us informed of this - I like these cases :eek:

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

More time for what(big question mark).............:hhhmmm

...........Ahh of course, more time to read jAcamOko's enlightening posts, tut, silly me for not realising straight away :shocked

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Heeey, I said I was kidding, didn't I ? :oops:

15. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'll explain this once, thought you would have known by now:

I'm always joking, lol:!:

Forensics have finished analyzing the evidence, and it does indeed seem from the above data that you were just kidding.

I already knew this of course, but best please the jury eh.

Case closed:!:

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

ROTFLMAO @ fLEX :biggrin

17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Blimey things have gone just a bit too far. glad to hear he's on holiday Flex...it will buy you more time mate. and Fergal Jak's right with your protocol/ADSL settings if your using G.DMT you will almost certainly need the second filter. but for now you're probably ok.

18. Fergal1982

well, i must admit that i switched to dmt an installed the second filter, and the phone quality is a lot less fuzzy!

Fergal

19. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

There you go...I rest my case.