Anyone upgrading their mobiles (UK only)

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by dales, Aug 12, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

my 12 month contract is due for renewal in october so I was looking around to see whats about and it seems alot of the providers are either canning the 12 month contracts or making them rather expensive. So I've decided to go for a sim only deal and buy a handset myself.

o2 are currently offering £5 off their simplicity tarriffs in august so I for example have taken up the £20 a month deal and am getting 600 minutes a month 1000 texts and unlimited surfing.

My circumstances are possibly a little unusual cause i've got a blackberry which is costing me £40 a month with no blackberrys on the horizon that take my fancy (work gave me a blackberry too so I don't really need the email on it any more and the cameras on blackberrys are rubbish), I've decided to go back to a standard phone.

I certainly don't want an 18 month contract who really wants the same phone for 18 months, let alone the 24 month contracts I've seen around. So i'm going to get a handset separately (something like a k800i which i've had before) until something better comes along.

best bit is simplicity is just a 30 day rolling contract so if I really wanted I could give them 30 days notice of cancellation mere days after starting it.

Just one for you if you happen to be looking around at the moment

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

most tarriffs are going 18 months :(

i dout they'll be many people who go sim only because the free phone is the best part of the contract :)

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

true but of course the phones arnt really free as you pay for them partly as part of the contract and then the provider gets the phones partly subsidised, so if you have the same phone a day over your contract length then your throwing money away!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm canning in my contract when it expires in September.

I can't see the point of carrying it on £40 per month and I hardly use the bugger (and that was before I got the work phone) - and that was an 18 month tie in.

I'd can it too if I were you and just get a PAYG phone - you can pick them up for £30 with £10 airtime in most supermarkets these days, never mind going to the provider stores. If you go to the larger Tesco's they have a good selection on a variety of tariffs.

The only possible fringe benefit would be to get your phone off one of the 'random' websites (such as dialaphone) and as well as your top-notch handset (I just used to get the mose expensive handset I could get away with, flog it on eBay and carry on using my perfectly functional crappy Nokia) you can also get an 'addon' such as an LCD TV, Wii, and so on - which you can either keep, squirrel away as a cheeky Christmas present, or sell on for more money.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes im definately getting rid of my contract, I think a PAYG phone would be quite expensive for me as I do use it quite alot and will use it more now im getting more involved in administrating mums estate. I think the simplicity deal sounds great for me, its a reasonable regular monthly price and should have all the minutes and texts I need.

my work BB is really for work calls only but can send personal emails on it (the beauty of being the sys admin, I get to read everyones emails but no one reads mine!).

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

O2 I-Phone £30/month

tempted :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I've just upgraded mine. went from Orange 18month £45ppm contract to a orange £35ppm 18 month contract.\ But i got a good deal on the phone, thanks to being a member of a website for mobiles. using one of thier affiliates i got the HTC Diamond touch, a DS Lite and a bluetooth headset for free on teh contract.
    And its a nice phone too, just takes some getting used to and a change of the rom to make it work better.

A collegue has teh O2 Iphone and he paid £100 on a £35ppm 18 month i think.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

If you top on O2 at least £10 per month you get free calls in your local area (O2 & landlines) and a free text pack treat.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  9. postman

postman Byte Poster

PAYG for me all the way but that's only because I don't phone anyone if I can avoid it (which is the main reason I can get by on £20 per year:biggrin).

WIP: A+
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I know this is a UK thread, but you're thinking an 18-month contract is a long time. :eek:
    We get slapped with a 36-month contract and get told we're lucky. :( :dry