Anyone tried Web Design Classes with e-classes.org?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by geofftaylor, Aug 26, 2006.

1. geofftaylor

geofftaylor Bit Poster

Hi

I've been looking at a range of CIW and other Web training providers.

The big UK training providers tend to not give their prices online, and seem to want atleast two thousand pounds. On the other hand, I'm a bit leery of the smaller (cheaper) ones that do give their prices online, especially when they aren't on CIW's accredited list of UK training providers.

Also, I'm a bit worried that the CIW courses won't be sufficiently practical - perhaps a bit too exam-oriented, with less emphasis on hands-on project work? Others may be able to advise me. If you're doing a CIW course, is that true? (I'm not against theoretical content, giving you a good overview, as opposed to software-specific training, I hasten to add. Just as long as it isn't too academic.)

I thought I'd found a way to purchase all the official self study course materials from http://www.computerprep.com for about £1100, including an interactive practice exam kit with over a thousand questions, but it seems the only courseware you can purchase as an individual is the official CIW v5 Foundation Self-Study Kit (all inclusive, it seems: books, study guide, interactive CD) for $99.00. That seems pretty good! Follow the link from the CIW homepage at http://www.ciwcertified.com. Also discovered that there are lots of places around the UK where you can take the CIW exams, only cost £89 or so, and you don't seem to need to be affiliated to any training organisation.

So, anyway, I've spotted a possible alternative, eclasses.org, in connection with the International Webmasters Association and The HTML Writers Guild (IWA-HWG). The courses don't seem to lead to a well-recognised certificate, perhaps, though they do have 4 Web certificates you can get by passing various courses, but the courses are online, tutor-led, and are cheap (only $40.00 to members, membership costs $49.00), so it would be fine to try a course or two and see how they are. They suggest one or two relevant books, which you are supposed to buy yourself, and give a link to Amazon - I have no problem with that.

Website Design Classes Offered by IWA-HWG
    http://iwa-hwg.eclasses.org/
    Quote: "Since 1998 eClasses.Org has provided the very best in online training to 45,000 Web developers and other professionals. It offers a catalog of 40 online courses covering the breadth of Web work, from HTML to Flash; from CSS to XML. All classes are taught by fellow experts and working professionals in the field. Online, instructor-led web technology classes. Affordable and flexible learning solution. 4 Web certificate programs"

I am impressed by:
    - the providers - IWA-HWG - presumably being associations of Web professionals?
    - the openness of the training organisation about everything (unlike so many of the CIW providers here in the UK!) including costs
    - the use of a "set book" which you can check out from their link to Amazon - that's fine and good - I still can't quite make out exactly what materials will be provided by the big UK CIW training companies I have had meetings with
    - the little bio and photo given of the trainer who is going to lead each course - they seem to be people who would have a lot of relevant practical experience to share with newbies
    - the honesty again of the Flash demo where we were shown round an online "classroom", where it seems clear that there will be practical projects to do.

Sorry this post has been so long!

Hope it is of use.

Certifications: BA Fine Arts, Dip TEFLA, MEd
    WIP: considering CIW
  2. geofftaylor

geofftaylor Bit Poster

:oops: I said the 6-week web classes at e-classes.org were $40.00. That should be $80.00. Sorry - I was mentally converting to GBPounds.

Certifications: BA Fine Arts, Dip TEFLA, MEd
    WIP: considering CIW