Anyone taken the MCDST exams?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by michael78, Jul 6, 2004.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Just thoght I would ask if anyone has taken either or both of the MCDST exams and what they thought of them in terms of content and how hard are they (As I've heard they are both too easy) any thoughts???

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I haven't taken the MCDST exams but thought I would ask the question about the exams being easy. What values does this cert have and where you feel it fits in the industry today?

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. michael78

I really thought this cert would take off this year. Doesn't seem to be much interest in this board. Come on all someone must of take one or both of the exams. If anyone has what were the exams like and is it worth doing?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

to be honest i understood it to be somewhat of an entry level qualification, it will take a few years to take off as people still demand an mcse for a helpdesk job, as the new one takes roots and prooves itself, people will lower there demands and the mcse should improve in status again

i can understand if its easy, its supposed to be entry level isnt it?

can't say i have tried it tho :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. michael78

I'm really thinking about taking this cert just because it's all about XP which is what we are rolling out at work. Just wanted to try to get someone's opinion on the exams.

6. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

Later this year I will start my prepping for the 70-270. I aim to take my time & be thorough. I will also attempt this one at the same time. The overlap must be enormous.

Comments please !!!

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  7. michael78

Scooby, thats basically my way of thinking as well. I'll probably do the 70-270 exam at roughly the same time as the MCDST exams.

8. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

I took a look at some of the official Microsoft books in Waterstones the other day. I still think the 70-270 would get you through most of the way.

But ...

One exam concentrates on application support (for that read Microsoft Office / Microsoft I.E / Microsoft ....). The 70-270 does not cover this so it looks as though further study will indeed be required.

However, the 70-270 still looks a lot harder.

Still, we will get through.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just finished the 70-271 exam and passed, I found it easy - mainly because I've been supporting XP for a while now, as well as studying the Sybex study guide (and this is a study guide, the 2 modules of the MCDST in 10 chapters). I'm currently studying for the 70-272 exam (this Tuesday coming). I don't believe that this is a entry qualification, but I do believe that it's the next one up. (Entry qualifications being the A+ and Network+).

Easy is a fuzzy term, it may be easy for one person, but hard for another, like I said I found it relatively easy, but a close freind of mine who works on the helpdesk, as well as the IT workshop failed.

While this certification may not be widely uptaken/popular at the present moment in time, it does count towards an elective for the MCSA, so in my option it's good to have.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Loopy

Loopy Bit Poster

Yep that was my thinking as well, i'm thinking about doing this for the elective for the MCSA, just because it seems easier than doing something like MS Exchange. I've already taken the 70-270 exam as part of the MCSA so I figured that most of the subject for 70-271 will be covered by the revision I did for this. Although i'm planning on buying the exam cram books for these exams before I have a go.
    I support XP already and have done plenty of work in the office applications and setting up internet explorer, so i'm hoping neither exam will be too stressful. Good luck everyone. :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA Windows Server 2003
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck to all those who wish to pursue the MCDST qualification (or any qualification really).

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hey,

I did this cert about 2-3 months ago. I did primarily as my start to Microsoft qualifications and intend to use it as a stepping stone to the MCSA. It is a handy qualification to have, but I do not think it is worth as much as the Windows XP exam required for the MCSA (I think it is 270??).

One thing I did find with these exams was that they are very very fiddly to answer questions. For example a question may come up about how to change network settings. If you are sitting in front of an XP box it is very easy, but now imagine you are not, and you have to describe to someone exactly how to get there.... This also causes problems if you have been running XP for a while, because unfortunately there are many routes to get to certain items, but the exams want you to know the "Microsoft" way and that alone... (A great example of this is that I along with many others turn off the annoying control panel default view, which the exam wants to test you on!)

Also I still can not believe Microsoft can advocate that Windows XP Professional can be installed on a 300Mhz system with 64MB of RAM and a 2GB hard disk...

Also had a lot of questions about firewalls and dns which was a little off putting...

But anyways - worth having in my opinion!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  13. weest

weest New Member

Hi,

I've just started studying for the MCDST and have set up an old PC that is right on the min spec and much to my suprise it does run without too much hassle. Ok, installing it took an age and the start up takes a while but when your just using it to play about with settings and not attempting to run anything major on it its fine. And it saves screwing around with my main PC at home (or at work for that matter).

14. michael78

It can be installed on these specs though I certainly wouldn't recommend it. Even Microsoft state that you should really have 128MB RAM. For testing and messing around with settings then using it on this spec PC is fine but as soon as you start to launch applications and such then you will really struggle to use it efficiently.

15. swisscheese73

swisscheese73 New Member

hi, could you tell me the no. of questions and duration of each exam? and could you take both exams on the same day.

cheers!

Certifications: none
    WIP: career change
  16. michael78

The number of questions and duration changes as far as I know. Although exam 70-272 is shorter than 70-271 in both questions and duration.

17. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

Hey guys,

I am currently studying for my 70-271 exam - how long did it take you guys to take in the material?? I know it will vary person to person but just wanted some idea?

Thanks, :biggrin
    Lee.

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: MCSDT
  18. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is one thing that just drives me batty about all certification exams. Why stress the route you get to a wizard? There are so many important concepts to be covered, and so much time is wasted on memorizing specific paths to wizards and configuration settings as if they were the most important things there are to learn. It makes no sense to me.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  19. michael78

Lee, it took me roughly 3-4 weeks from start to finish using the MCDST exam cram book to do the 70-271 exam. I passed first time and thought it was pretty easy. Doing the A+ first probably did help a lot as well because a lot on the A+ exam is in the 70-271 exam. I had bigger problems with 70-272 the second exam you have to pass because it's heavily geared towards Exchange and we use Lotus Notes (Which I really hate as it's crap :x ) so I found that exam much harder.

20. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

Man thats quick!!! I know this will vary person to person but how many hours per night studying did you put in and how long did the 70 272 material take you to learn?

Thanks
    Lee :biggrin

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: MCSDT