Anyone taken course with Compu-train?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shelley748, Aug 22, 2010.

1. shelley748

shelley748 New Member

Hi

I am thinking of taking a course in MCSE with Compu train in UK. They say that they will find work for you within 90 days of finishing the course, otherwise you get a full refund, anyone had any experience with this?

WIP: MCSE
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Please always read the fine print with any company that promises that. Normally you have to pass the exams in X amount of time and they won't put you forward for the exams unless you pass their own internal assessments. Added to that any job offer that they may find may or may not even be in our area.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

A course is a course and a job is a job, don't confuse the two.
    Many people have made the mistake of signing up for a TP thinking that they were buying their way into employment and somehow jumping the queue.

Do you work in IT at the moment?
    The MCSE is a serious piece of work, and not something I'd recommend to someone just starting out.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

There is no job guarantee, they are just interested in your money. All training providers used this ploy to con you to sign up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  5. shelley748

shelley748 New Member

Its actually for my husband, he has a degree in Microelectronics and Computing, we have been abroad for 8 years and he is trying to think of a job that would be in demand in IT in the Poole/Bournemouth area. Any suggestions gratefully received.:eek:

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What did your husband do, whilst your were abroad?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. shelley748

shelley748 New Member

Unfortunately he could not get into IT here in Canada, timing was all wrong IT bubble burst, has been doing handyman work, and messing about with web pages

Thats why I wanted to know what is in demand.......he has been a very well over qualified handyman.:cry:

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well Shelly, the IT bubble has burst a long time ago in the UK too and so it is very hard to get a foot on the IT ladder.

There is no way to somehow skip the entry level positions, so regardless of what may be in demand, the only jobs that will be offered to a person with no commercial experience are jobs like help desk and field technician. Entry level jobs, otherwise known as level 1. Clearly these jobs do not pay well.

There is no point in doing all the work to attain an MCSE, as he would then be overqualified for the roles he is seeking and with no proper server experience be classed as a paper MCSE.

Employers may be swayed if they see someone with certs that match the entry level job vacancies they are advertising. ie CompTIA's A+ Net+ and Microsoft's MCDST

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Although you do get the odd clueless HR/agency types with adverts like the one I got emailed today:

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Haha, it looks like they did a search for every cert out there and decided to list them. Hey what the hell, an MCP or an MSCE will do. Is there a difference? :)

Oh and Shelly, Bluerinse's last post is spot on. It may not be what you or your husband wants to hear but have a think who is going to give you honest advice ... A company who wants you to spend thousands of pounds or someone who isn't asking for anything at all ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada