Anyone successfull in getting a job after completing computeach course?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jabberwock, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Jabberwock

Jabberwock New Member

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on the forum so please be gentle if i make any mistakes :D

So i've recently enquired about taking a course with computeach. I've met with a recruitment officer already and she made the course seem very promising and also went as far as to say i'd get a job within 6 months of studying. I should note that i already have a computer related degree but i don't have any experience in the industry. The cost is obviously a little steep but that's not a particular factor for me.

What i'm more concerned about is in getting a job. I've already searched the forums and found a lot of unhappy computeach 'victims'. But i was wondering if anyone had actually completed a course with computeach and landed a job with their help?

I must say i am a little wary of computeach as the woman i spoke to gave me massive pressure on taking the course. But if people have managed to get a job through them i'm willing to take the risk.

I would appreciate any helpful feedback.

Thanks.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm sure that many people who have completed their courses with Computeach will have gained employment.

The question is, how have they gained employment, and is it what they expected when they enrolled on their course?

Many people will become employed in IT after gaining some certifications, but the chances are that they have become employed off of their own backs, by seeking out employment themselves.

Whilst many companies offer 'guaranteed jobs' more often than not people donot get the jobs directly through their training provider, but by applying for them themselves.

This is not to say that you should be out off going on a course with a training provider, simply that you should take the promise of a job with a pinch of salt.

The Certs that you gain will help you to open up doors, but will not necessarilly guarantee you a job. You must endevour to get the job by proving that you have the skills required to succeed in that role.

HTH. 8)

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What you've got to remember is getting a job is getting a job.
    It doesn't go hand in hand with your training.
    Having said that, IT training providers often have contacts in the industry so they may be able to help you.

Think of it this way. You can go to a university and study for a degree. The UK is currently having a real problem in finding jobs for university graduates, as industry realises that most of these people have no real world experience and have spent three years getting drunk (don't shout at me, I did it too).

The same is true with IT training providers. Sure, it gives you the tools and in many cases may be the best option.

The difference is that universities don't promise you a job when you graduate.
    I'm not implying that training providers are lying, but you should sign up based on the quality of the coursework and the support offered - not be dazzled by promises of what they can do for you afterwards.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

My experience with training provider promises is that the promises up front are not the reality you find when finished.

I was promised help finding a job in IT by the training provider I used. The reality was that after I signed up with them I recieved no leads on jobs and was finally told by the person who keeps in contact with the IT industry that my best bet was to just get to know people in the industry, i.e. personal networking. It was good advice and that is the way I've found my most promising leads, but that wasn't what was promised when being "sold" on their training program.

The training provider's promises, and the reality of the extent of their assistance, are as different as black and white.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I'm sorry to say this, but these "salespeople" will lie out their azzes to make the sale. Period! Once the sale is made and they have their commission, they don't give a rats azz about you.

You can, however, go one further. Make them PUT IT IN WRITING that you're guarenteed a job 6 months after you finish, and that if you don't land a job, they give you all your money back. I feel pretty confident in saying that they will back down from that one.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbleft
    Can't really add anything as it has already been summed up. You are already well trained cert wise by the fact you have a degree. Why don't you consider buying some books, labs, interactive training and getting certified yourself? As already said, there are people who will have got jobs purely down to the contacts these trainers have. The question you have to ask yourself is it worth the money they want?
    Best of luck :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I was also promised a job when I signed up with a training provider. After a few months I realised that the jobs being offered were not in the area that I wished to work, they all required a lot of travelling over an hour.

Then, when I was half way through my exams for MCSE they went out of business, so I never got my opportunity for a job :x

Read the small print!!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Jabberwock

Jabberwock New Member

Thanks for all the replies it's helped me make my decision.

9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Agreed. READ THE FINE PRINT! And make sure the school you attend is licensed and bonded. That way if the school closes and you haven't finished your classes, you won't be held responsible financially for those classes.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  10. IT 2005

IT 2005 Bit Poster

hI

IT IS UP TO YOU TO GET THE JOB , MOST it tRAINING pROVIDERS WILL USE DECEIT, LIE TO YOU AND GIVE YOU BULL IN THE SMALL PRINT OF A CONTRACT, IF YOU WANT TO SUE THEM WITH HELP FROM ************ I DID SUE A TRAINING PROVIDER 3 TIMES AND WON :D

11. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

and you can't help shouting out to the world repeatedly of your alleged success..

are you sure you don't work for them ? :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP