anyone studyingfor the 801 test?

Discussion in 'A+' started by snahfu, Oct 18, 2012.

1. snahfu

snahfu New Member

Is anyone studying for the 801 test? Im reading 'CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition ' and I find it quite challenging. It takes me 3+ hours to get through some chapters (w/ taking notes, im only ~600 pages in)

I underestimated how difficult reading this book would be. My only previous experience is building a few computers from scratch, never any real world work experience.

I hope reading this book is worth is just to answer a mere 100 questions :biggrin

How are you guys doing?

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have been thinking about upgrading my 701/702 up to 801/802 through the bridge exam, but then I feel that maybe it's not so worth it as not many employers have even been bothered I have the 701/702 or know what it is in full.

Try using Professor Messer for your 801/802 studies along with the book which may help it to all sink in.

I have not looked through the 801/802 objectives too much but I know there have been some big changes

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. snahfu

snahfu New Member

What kind of jobs are you applying for?

My goal is some kind of networking/ system admin position, im sure all employers would know what an A+ certification is?

Jobs at best guy geek squad look for A+ cert as well.

4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have worked with people that have came from many of these in-store tech departments, and trust me, I don't think they have had the A+, but of course everything may have changed since then.

I am working in 1st line IT Support, and have been for many years across 1st / 2nd Line, I only got my A+ earlier this year in April as I have got the experience, but now want to top it up.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

If you are finding some chapters in the book hard to work through then go on professor messers website like shadowwebs said and watch the video on that subject first. This has helped me majorly with every IT cert i have studied. They don't always write these books very well and the messer videos are brilliant at clearing things up.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  6. NewTech

NewTech New Member

I completed this book, it took me about a month, almost melted my brain as its very large. It seemed to be quite good though not really a concise study guide, more of a complete A - Z bible to computers, which I think is a good thing if you can muster through it and retain most of what you read. It also comes with Total Tester demo at the end so you get two free practice exams. I've done all this and I've moved on to more practice tests elsewhere, not going to pay $125 for total tester, geesh that's too much.

After you read this book completely don't stop studying, review chapters you had trouble with a take a bunch of practice tests.

7. NetworkMD

NetworkMD Bit Poster

I just passed the 801 today I used the Meyers all in one, and also watched the Messers free videos and really found them to be one the mark for the questions I received. For my test there were a lot of questions regarding the Mother board major components, TCP Ports, and Wireless really was critical to have a good understanding of these sections, but I am sure each test is randomized. I had 4 Performance simulations