Anyone stuck in a job where you're getting dumber and dumber?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rockets34Life, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

That's the case for me....made a mistake taking this desktop administrator job (which ended up being just senior level help desk) and not learning a damn thing.

It just feels like I'm clocking in, doing repetitive crap, and clocking out everyday.

I want to improve my skills after hours, but it's tough when you have a 8-month old. I get up everyday at 6:30a, feed my daughter, get ready and go to work from 8-5, pick my daughter up from daycare at 5:30, be home at 6p and watch her til' 7:30p. Then my wife comes home and we have to take care of my daughter until 10pm when she goes to bed. That gives me every night just a little over an hour to relax from the day and start over the next day. Weekends....well, that's taken up by my daughter and my wife. Just don't know where to find the time.

I'm trying to get out of this help desk/desktop support pigeon-holed crap of a field and move on to system/network administration.

What do I do?

P.S. - For anyone who cares, I didn't get the healthcare gig... :(

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Maybe you will need to use that 10pm until 11pm time mate. It’s not easy though. If you can get a couple of 30\45min study sessions during the week and say an hour at the weekend then perhaps you can start making some progress on the certs.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I used to read my technical manuals to my two older kids as bed time stories. The third is only 1 week old and I will do the same with her.

Make use of every moment to study. On the way to work, on the way back, during your lunch break, during quiet periods of the day at work. Study does not have to be a marathon 9 hour stretch, small managable chunks of time 30mins at a time works well.

I won't sugar coat it this next bit but weekends must be sacrified for your career, I once killed an entire year of weekends studying the MCSE. Did the wife mind, yes, but we do what we have to do.

I agree with Mr Sparks, 10pm to 11pm is one whole hour of study time.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
    nugget, GiddyG and danielno8 like this.
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

How about speaking to your line manager about some study time at work? The Senior Tech and myself (the IT Manager) are very pro-CPD and have (in the past) created test servers, domains/forests, etc to assist in the studying and improvement of our staff.

We are constrained by business needs, but 1 or 2 hours every week or fortnight (again depending on organisational needs) adds up.

At the minute we've got a tech on a NVQ program in Team Leading (as he's finished his MOS, MTA and MCDST programs). Then after that, we're looking at FITS level 4 and level 5. While we want to develop technical skills, we also want to develop soft skills as this (I believe) leads to a successful team and department (especially from a strategic view, eg succession management).

I'm saying this as if you can convince management that staff development is paramount to success, that's half your battle done.

You still have to organise part of your studying outside work, how about some audio training to-from work? E-books at lunch? Waking up 1/2 hour earlier? As work will not invest in you, if you don't invest in yourself.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Sorry did you say 8 month old child? Try putting her to bed before 10pm and at the weekends, tell your wife shes in charge of your daughter for 3 hours on Sunday whilst you study.

Problem solved.

I'm not being flippant either, I was working 55 hour weeks then coming home and having to look after my own things (Had an ill family member) so between looking after my dog and travelling to hospital and back I had *no* time either.

You've got to look at the hours you do or have in a week and budget them sensibly - you'll find you have more hours than you think you do, and if you absolutely do not have the hours, then that's more reason to study and move on right?

Best of luck.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Surely your wife would understand if you tell her you're wasting away at your current job and you need a few hours a week to study and improve your situation. I have a friend who has five kids and works a 40-hour-plus full-time job, yet still finds time to study each week. I asked him how, and he said that he had an agreement with his wife that several nights a week he needed to study to help grow himself, and hence, better prepare himself to provide for his family into the future. Scheduling it like that has helped them reinforce that this is his time to study, and it allows him to focus more on his family when he's with them because he's not worried about finding time to study. He knows that he'll have that time at some point during the week.

Between 5 hours a night during the week and two days on the weekend, there is time to be found. It just depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. If you're not willing to sacrifice some family time to grow your career, there's no shame in that. But, understand that you're making a conscience decision to do that, and be willing to live with a job that doesn't fulfill you in exchange for spending that extra time with your family.

7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Your lunch time in work each day covers that with 4-10 hours at the weekend and you'll be flying mate. As said, we've all made loads of sacrifices for these studies, its quite normal. Good luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I agree with all that's been said, firstly your precious daughter should be in bed by 8pm at most. Well that's what I'd aim for and do then use the rest of the free hour to catch up on some studies.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

I resemble this topic and it is starting to look like ground hog day ... no kidding.

Ah well time to start studying after a break of two years and go and do other things methinks.

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  10. method115

method115 New Member

I don't mean to come across as an a-hole but just give up. Seriously someone who makes this many excuses about not having time is just looking for a reason to not do it.

I've had a child, worked full time, went to college full time, and still partied a bunch. Oh forget to mention I also worked out 4 days a weeks.

Your weekday is typical for almost anyone with a child. Then on your weekends it's time for you wife and daughter? What do you guys do cuddle all day? An 8 month old child should be taking naps 2 times a day at least. Even when shes awake from her naps your wife can watch her. An 8 month old doesn't need constant attention or your doing it wrong.

Once again sorry if this sounds rude but I'm so sick of hearing people use their wife,child, and job (40 hours a week) as an excuse for not doing anything else. The sad thing is everyone seems to accept this excuse like it's true.

So once again I recommend you just give up and if anyone ask just keeping throwing your wife and child under the bus everyone accepts these excuses.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
    derkit likes this.
  11. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

lol well said :)

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I don't have kids and I agree with this!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293