Anyone see Manhunt ITV1 Tuesday

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Paul_o, May 31, 2007.

1. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

program a bit like crime watch. they had an item on wireless security, they had an IT bod who was driven around streets sniffing for wireless networks. when they found an insecure one they parked outside the house and started to intercept emails and web pages, after a while they knocked on the door and astounded the house holder with details of what they found out. after that they went to a wifi hotspot and sat near to a bloke who was on his laptop, again they got snippets of what he was doing on his laptop and after a while showed him. thing is what they actually showed him was not complete web pages, all they had were parts of the page like forward and back buttons, small gifs, stuff like that. i have actually cracked my own wep using aircrack but not gone any further, i assume they were sniffing packets of data which is why they only had pieces of web pages and parts of emails? quite impressive all the same.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  2. eddietop

eddietop Bit Poster

Once you are on any network, sniffing up other clients data is really trivial. It was probably done via a man in the middle attack using ARP cache poisoning, then its just a case of firing up your favorite packet sniffer.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: BSc Computer Secuirty