Anyone reccomend any online compentacy based interview preperation courses?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ninjadeathcult, Mar 19, 2011.

1. ninjadeathcult

ninjadeathcult Bit Poster

Hi,
    Well..I had my first attempt at trying for a consultant position (doing UAT testing) in my company and although I did a lot of preparation for the competencies I still did not anticipate the questions that were given to me and ended up generally giving answers that had very little to with the questions they were asking me, and despite having a very relevant background this poor interview cost me the job.

I have done a lot of reading online about preparing for interviews and did put the work in but it was like I was barking up the wrong tree with my preperation.

What I would like to know is there any online courses that could help me out so the next time I will be much better prepared?

I don't have much money so something that is free or cheap would be great, maybe if there is a course with a video that asks competancy based questions and I can practice answering them or something similar.

Any suggestions would be great

(and yes I had a look through the sticky's and could not see anything like this)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
  2. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

There is a few sites that can give you an idea of the type of questions and indication of what the interviewer is looking for

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/compet/skillquest.htm

and you could always follow the STAR method with these type of questions

http://web.mit.edu/career/www/guide/star.html

My own advice would be to concentrate more on the 2 or 3 specific past experiences and THEN apply the questions to those scenarios. Otherwise you can overload your brain looking for answer A to question F........Wheres with 2 or three experiences you can probably answer most of the compentency questions from those speccfic experiences when you sit and think about it:)

Also dont waffle with your answers, but try and identify another compentency in the answer you give as well and point this out..it kinda feels like you take control more of the questions being asked.....

So an example may be, "give an exaple of where you worked as part of a team", and you may have a scenario where you can demonstrate the team skills, but also be able to point out to the interviewer that in addition, this particular experience demonstrated your organisational skills etc:)

In fact in my past few interviews, ive actually had the interviewer say "well i was going to ask this", but you have answered that in the question earlier..and it does relax you a lot more:)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Can you give us some examples of the questions they asked?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. ninjadeathcult

ninjadeathcult Bit Poster

sorry for the delay coming back ..the one example that I really stuffed up and was not prepared for was.
    Describe a time when you had to change your approach in order faccilitate an agreement? :blink

I was going to record the interview on my iphone before I went in but forgot

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
  5. Utah13

Utah13 New Member

Did you ever find an online competency test as I seem to be having the same problems as you.

Thank you