Anyone migrated a 2K3 DHCP server to 2K8?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Modey, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

We are about to decomission an old server which just happens to be our DHCP server. I intend to migrate the DCHP server to one of our new 2K8 R2 DC's but as I understand it, some people have had issues doing this. (red X's on leases, reservations not coming across etc...)

There is an official MS KB guide in order to do exactly what I'm talking about. I'm going to try migrating it to a test virtual server first though and see what happens.

If anyone has already done this and has the bald patches of hair to proove it, I'd appreciate any tips before I get my hands dirty. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

So long you know: the scope of IP addresses that your server will manage (e.g., 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.200), which machines require static IP addresses (i.e., those machines such as servers and routers that will not use DHCP to receive their IP addresses but will be set manually),which network information you want to send out to DHCP clients when they get their IP addresses (e.g the addresses for your default gateway, DNS servers, and WINS servers).

Besides that, it's pretty straight forward.

Edit: also check the duration of the lease (expired or not). ;-)

----------------
    Now playing: 12 Stones - Games You Play
    via FoxyTunes

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yes, I could re-create the DHCP server manually by noting the things you mentioned and setting them up on the new server, but that wasn't the question. Stick to your brain dumps dude.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Mate,

The KB that you found, this person says that doing it that way work:

Other than that you could create a Win 2003 VM (32 bit), import the DHCP setting from the physical DHCP server, upgrade the VM 2k3 server to Win 2k8 (the 32bit version), then export the DHCP setting from the 32bit VM, followed by importing it into the Virtual 64bit Win 2k8 r2 server :)

Long winded, I know... But another way round it :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Never done it tbh but perhaps delete all current leases etc. before you migrate to minimise what you need to move.

Is your DHCP setup complex? Just wondering if recreating it might be an easier option if there are issues migrating.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I've recently done such migration (although not to R2 but I doubt it matters).

Had no bigger issues what-so-ever but I had to manually delete old leases on the old server before it went offline.
    For some reason when there were leases on the old server the machines on new server were showing as "incorrect ip address" once a while (Even with the old server being offline :/). Set up new server. Delete the leases on the old one. Offline the old server. Test.
    That's how I've done it.

By offline I mean DHCP service being offline and not the machine.
    Also just noticed you don't want to recreate the dhcp settings but migrate. Apologies for not reading properly

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I am reluctant to delete the old leases as I have had problems in the past when I have done that, but it sounds like there are potential pit falls using either method. Thanks for the input guys, I'm sure it will all go swimmingly. :)

8. Kitkatninja

Of course it will, just make sure that you take a backup or take down the settings that are in DHCP first...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Update: I tried an import to a WK8 R2 server using the method outlined by MS and got an error during the import (to a test virtual server). So it didn't work.

I have instead setup a new 2K3 R2 virtual server and done the import to that which ... worked perfectly*. I used the method outlined here.

I think I'll leave it running just as a dedicated DHCP server for now. What's that old saying, let sleeping dogs lie ... :)

*Ok I say perfectly, it didn't want to authorise at first (it said it had, but hadn't actually), so an un-athorise & re-authorise worked in the end. Oh and erm... turning the firewall off helped the clients see the new server, after a bit of head scratching. :oops:

10. Kitkatninja

Hey mate,

You're half way with my second suggestion. You don't want to try going the full length? Because it's not a DC you can also do a snapshot and revert if it doesn't work :)

-ken

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hmm it is working nicely now, I suppose it's time to break it. :)

12. Kitkatninja

But if you're happy to leave it, you can :) It just may be useful especially if you're going to study for the Win 2k8 exams :)

-Ken

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Like you said mate, that's what snapshots are for ... :)