anyone here studied MCSE course ?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mugen1314, Jun 12, 2008.

1. mugen1314

mugen1314 New Member

just applied to do The Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) course through ICS. Just wanted to know if anyone here has any experience in that course ?
    I come from a average background of knowledge of the PC and although i yet recieve any of my course package im just worried how hard the course is for me.
    any adise much appreicated please :biggrin

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you work in IT mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. mugen1314

mugen1314 New Member

no experience :( i decided to start from scatch with my qualification in IT. I know IF i do acheive the MCSE qualification i would require basis work experience to boost my creditials.
    But for a average knowledge of the PC , is the course hard ?
    many thanks

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes it will be.

The MCSE is designed for people who administer and maintain servers and networks, these people will have atleast a years experience doing that in a job. This is what Microsoft recommends. Having the MCSE and no on the job experience can damage your employment prospects because employers expect you to be able to do the job straight away without supervision.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yeah the MCSE course work *is* hard.. and the 7 related exams are very hard to pass.

The MCSE is aimed at people with at least a years experience administrating a server client network over different sites, using a variety of different technologies. It is not an *entry* level cert. :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, it is hard.

A better option would be to go for A+, Network+ and then MCDST first to find out if you even enjoy studying IT certs before taking on the MCSE. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you achieve the MCSE and try to get a job, you'll likely have a hard time doing so specifically because of the MCSE. But... the training provider wasn't going to tell you that... they just want to sell you the most expensive course they can get you to agree to.

As the others have stated, the MCSE is for experienced server administrators. If you get the MCSE, employers with MCSE-level jobs won't hire you, because you lack that real-world experience administering servers. And employers with entry-level jobs won't hire you, because the MCSE has nothing to do with entry-level IT work. In truth, the MCSE makes you horribly overcertified for your experience, and those entry-level employers will think that 1) you are overqualified for an entry-level job, 2) you will require more than what an entry-level job pays, and/or 3) you will get bored with the lower-than-MCSE-level work and quit within a few months, meaning they'll have to find/hire/train someone all over again.

My advice would be to get the A+, Network+, and MCDST, and NO farther until you build quite a bit of experience. And I'd recommend that you start looking for work NOW, not after you get certified. Although certifications help, you don't *need* certifications to get an entry-level job. Every day you aren't in IT is another day you're not gaining that much-needed experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF

What they said^

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  10. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Hello and welcome to the forums,

Have you paid for this course through a training provider?

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  11. mugen1314

mugen1314 New Member

i went with ICS. At the beginning i started off with trying to do a degree in Business management . Then decided that wasnt the idealist subject in which i would like to pursue.
    Today i opted for a MCSA instead of a MCSE . The MCSA requirements was just basic knowledge of the pc.
    Although many of you have suggested tht i should find a job relating to IT. I cannot do this because im finanically committed in running my own business for another three years.
    So all in all i hope with some guts and determination , i hope i can pass the MCSA course and possible do the A+ and network & certification in between it.

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Mugen, welcome to CF:), IT is a hard career field to break into but quite satisfying if you have the right attitude.

I mean right attitude as in if you're willing to work hard and start small, firstly if you haven't paid for this course through ICS that's good as you can study through the self study route. This means you buy the books and a computer or two to get cracking on with and even with the emerging Virtualisation you don't need two many hardware in term of computers.

So, I'd advise you start with the A+ cert, and then N+ then start looking for a helpdesk first line support role. To be honest the MCSE would be too intense for you to start as seeing you don't have any relevant working experience in a network server environment.

Best wishes:) and lets know if you need further guidance.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what onoski says is right, you should be doing the A+ and N+ and probably the MCDST for starters. The MSCA is for people with atleast 12 months experience in a job as a network administrator.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

What what what!! You try telling that to a certified MCSA and see if you don't get a slap!

Seriously, Microsoft's pre-requisite for the MCSA is 12-18 months supporting Windows Server in a networked environment, which is a little more than basic knowledge of a pc!!

I hope that opinion is not yours and is some sales talk from an ICS representative. Who should be strung up by their balls if it is!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That might be ICS's requirements... but those don't match Microsoft's recommendations. Microsoft recommends 6-12 months experience administering servers in a 250+ user, multi-site, multi-server domain environment. And like the MCSE, getting the MCSA without experience can make it HARDER, not easier, to get an entry-level job.

But ICS wasn't going to tell you that... they were going to sell you the most expensive course they could. Just goes to show that ICS is out of touch with what someone needs in order to get an IT job.

Well... good luck with that. You'll soon discover the hard way what IT employers want.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Yo OP, don't forget A+ and N+ or MCDST can be used as electives for your MCSA. Have you thought about part time work at all? I know alot of smaller schools offer part time I.T. Work for even 8 hours a week. Check your county council job websites if you are in the U.K. Or volunteer? Does your business have any opportunities to do anything I.T. related? Personally doing anything further than what the others said A+/N+/MCDST is stupid, specially with no experiance and being involved in your business for the next 3 years..

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.