Anyone here a mac person?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Vince Polston, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

I'm retiring my early 2011 Macbook Pro this week. Selling it to a buddy of mine. I just ordered my new one and literally can't wait for it to get here. Supposed to be here Wednesday lol.

So yeah. Any of you folks a Mac user? If so what apps do you use that you couldn't live without?

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I have Mac Book Air, which I find to be quite awesome... but I have to confess, I use Boot Camp a lot and tend to boot into Windows more often then OS X.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

No not rich enough..

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I'm not an apple person but I do use a mac for my day to day work, I started off with a 2013 mac air and now have one of the mac pro with the force touch mouse. Mainly because I love how long the battery lasts and its fast as you like and light for me to carry around the country all day.

Apps I can't live without, Snagit, Camtasia, spotify,text wrangler,blogo,Skype,ecamm recorder, dropbox reflector 2 and of course Citrix Receiver!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I've got a works one - but rarely use it to be honest. i'm working on integrating Mac's into our SCCM managed environment. which is proving to be a ballache! :dry

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I converted over to Macbook Pro 15" about 18 months ago, I was getting tired of my slow laptop and not having the sort of apps I needed on Windows for my work. Haven't looked back, absolutely love my Mac now Ive got used to the difference. Sublime Text 2 is my top used app followed by Caato Time Tracker.

Doubt I would ever go back to Windows for a laptop, the battery life alone is a huge plus for macs and I dont have anywhere near as many issues than with Windows.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Apple remote desktop and deploy studio.

Enough said

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

is there any macbook that is cheap (probably an old model) but is reliable?

9. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

Awesome response guys! For me I can't live without smartfancontrol, filezilla, camtasia, editra, & spotify.

If I were to recommend an older model that is still reliable.. just make sure it is an intel i series processor. Don't go all the way back to the core2duo days. Shoot. My current 2011 MBP has an i7 in it. Find a 2011 with an i5 and throw a SSD in it. Should be good to go for normal use :)

That being said.. got to brag. Apple has a super good deal right now on one of their refurb: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G...-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Was able to save about $400 compared to new in their store. It's completely maxed out as far as you can go on the early 2015 model :)

10. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

would love one but could never afford to get one :(.. well tbh I could but priorities n all that

12. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

We can choose them at work now along with Windows or Linux builds (both of those being on the same hardware so can swap between them if wanted to spend the time and effort to do so).
    Not sure if I'll choose one though when my machine comes up for refresh as whilst I could probably get by with the specs of the Macbook Pros it'd be a struggle with some of the stuff we run.
    Or maybe they'll bump the max memory up to 32Gb by the time I have to choose :)