Anyone heard of Train 4 Trade skills? help please!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by boh_girl, May 4, 2009.

1. boh_girl

boh_girl New Member

We recently had a salesman out after responding to an ad, its for Plumbing, my partner has always wanted to do this, so we thought we would speak to someone and try it out. We have been told its a downpayment of £100 then 42 payments of £142 per month. She would then become a professional plumber. My partner doesnt know whether we should go for it? He is returning on Wednesday 6th April for the £100 and we are really concerned that we are getting into something that is not going to be worth it, I would be prepared to pay the £5000 if she was getting a proper qualification out of it but I am so worried thats its going to be money down the tubes.
    Can anyone please help us, we really dont know what to do!
    The company are called Train 4 Trade Skills and are in association with Schneidegger Training. She can work from home which means she doesnt need to give up her present job.

Thank you so much
    Boh-girl

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, why not be a part of this community and introduce yourself here.

So for the cost of £6064, they are will to train a person up to be a professional plumber... I would strongly advise you to consider your options, and maybe check out your local colleges to see what plumbing courses they do.

Our local college offers the NVQ 2 for £2544, which is the practitioner's award. Also they offer the NVQ 3, which is a higher practitioner's/supervisors award for about the same amount. So already a savings of a grand if both levels are done.

I don't know what else to say as this is mostly an IT/Computing certification forum.

Good luck in whatever you do :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Like ken says, go to college or become a plumbers mate, preferably both.

Don't pay large up front sums to commercial training providers that could close down at the drop of a hat leaving you out of pocket. Don't pay £1000's more than the training is worth. Don't pay the same or more for distance learning than you would for proper face to face tuition with a tutor along with hands on lab work at a college.

Don't expect to immediately get a cushy job, with high pay, work from home or other benefits. Its likely these jobs will go to those with experience, thats if the jobs exist at all.

At the end of the day if there really is demand for a job, which I expect there is for plumbers, then there should be trainee/apprenticeship positions around.

The building industry is currently in a severe downturn, I am not sure to what extent this affects plumbers, but its bound to have some impact.

Otherwise, Best of Luck! I'm sure your partner will shorty be showing his arse crack to people around the country along with all the best plumbers ! :D

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Atcually, now is a pretty good time to learn a trade. It'll take two years to learn it properly, by which time the construction industry should have picked up. I say 'should', provided we don't enter a ten year depression, of course, in which case it won't make a shred of difference because we'll end up with 20% unemployment and all of us will be out of a damn job!

Seriously though - your partner would be a mug to sign up for this. You can get much better qualifications, with much more 'hands-on' experience (absolutely 100% necessary in ANY trade - especially one dealing with gas or electricity!) for a damn sight less than this in local colleges. There's even less benefit using one of these companies for trade-based training than there is for technical training - all they are is a rip-off.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Scheidegger as a company have had some pretty mixed (im being polite here) reviews in the past, i would make sure before anyone signs anything you read the contract fully and know whats rights you have to cancel, get a refund etc if the course doesnt fulfil any promises or expectations.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal