Anyone got examples of misrepresentation by Computeach?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by shaunyboy, Aug 8, 2004.

1. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Hi Guys,

I've got to the stage that I'm actually taking Computeach to the small claims court on a claim of misrepresentation. :cry: I'd like to be able to say that I'm not the only person this has happened to so if anyone would like to contact me privately I'd really appreciate it.

If you would rather not get involved but feel let down then contact Watchdog, a number of students have done so already to try to help others in the future.

Thanks,

Shaun.

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I've got to say I always thought Computeach are a bunch of cowboys. They quoted me £1700 to do my A+ :blink (This was when I didn't really know what the A+ was) They tried to hard sell me things I didn't want saying that I would be stupid not to do an MCSE straight away instead of the A+. The bloke on the other end of the phone had practically mapped out my life in 3 minutes without even asking me what experiences I had or what I wanted to do. I personally think that distance learning isn't the best way forward for learning about things like networking etc. You may as well buy a good book and use a forum like this one to get help when your stuck.

Anyway keep us informed on how you get on and I hope you get it resolved soon...:)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thats a valid point Sylpie. but I remember when I got a call from Training Camp and this guy was very helpful and he wasnt trying his best to sell me the product in fact he was telling me the best path to go to as he asked questions like what experience I had. I wanted to do MSCE Win2K but when he asked what experience I had he said the best bet for me would be to do an A+ course. I hadnt even heard of A+ let alone what it was. and he was right. the only downside was I wish I had the £1800 back then cos I would have done both the A+ and Net+ in 7 days!! but instead I told him I would get a book (which I have finished) and just book the exams and he understood and left me to it. but it was good advice and not like being pestered by computeach. so Shaun I wouldnt hesitate if I were you mate.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. michael78

Maybe I'm being too harsh on all distant learning companies. But think of it like this what do you really get for your money. For a start £1500-2000 that I've heard people paying for doing A+'s is just sickening. Fair enough if it is for an MCSE but A+ no-way. Then what do you get a book that costs £30 and two exams that costs probably £200 max for both (Remember they will get the exams at a discount). Then what a couple of emails of some bloke to justify the money. In reality computers are best off being taught face to face or from a book (Which essentialy what distant learning is anyway but without paying a fortune for the privelage). You can't really (Just my opinion) describe network problems or where a bios is located very well with an email. Save your money and go on holiday with it rather than line the pockets of distant learning companies...:eek:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'll contact Watchdog for sure.

Then I'll resume my normal stance which is to forget that I ever signed up with this sham, for the good of my health.
    :x

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i personally think these
    courses are gimmicky. at best you will have a tentative grasp on the subject. just enough to pass the exam and no more. if you are going to do the course, you want somewhere which will teach you over a few months, in order to ensure it stays in your mind. theres no point having the cert if you are crap at what its sposed to certify you for!

also, i paid 250 for my A+ cert and it was a complete waste of money. the books are utter crap (Meyers is sooooooooooo much better), and i dont get the exams included!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Guys,

Not to interfere with your Thread, but please bear in mind this is a public Forum. Can you conduct any specific case by case discussions by email or PM from now ?

If you want to discuss, please PM me, or any Staff Member. Thanks [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Simon Hall

Simon Hall New Member

I signed up for an MCSE course in February, mainly choosing this course from the advice of the Computeach representitive. He advised me that in the long run I would earn the best money and get the most job satisfaction from this qualification. When I started the course (bearing in mind I had no prior experience of IT) I found the fundementals quite interesting, so I thought I should carry on. At that time I was being rushed by the rep to complete my paperwork for the Career Development Loan for £3900 (including the £500 cost of my computer). On starting the MCSE part of the course, I found that a majority of the excersises in the Microsoft book (rrp $59.99usd) needed to be completed on a network, which I obviously do not have. I have now come to the mock exam time and have realised that there is no way of me passing an exam on this subject, not because I am not intelligent enough, but because I find it thouroughly un-interesting. Computeach gave me no chance to experience what this course would be about, except that I "would earn loads of money", and "If you can pass our quick apptitude test" it would be easy. I probably have no hope of getting any money back for this but I think everyone should know that Computeach only wants your money and nothing else.

9. michael78

Simon as you've found out at your cost the MCSE isn't a good cert to start on if you don't have any knowledge of PC's and Networking. Computeach don't have a good rep they seem to sell anything to anyone without giving a moments thought. People seem to be drawn by MCSE's because of the Microsoft tag. There are better ways of starting your IT cert path off with Comptia's A+ and Network+. This should be a warning to people wanting to jump in too deep. I've said all along that distance learning for Networking is a really bad idea for the reason Simon has pointed out most people don't have a network to practice on (I know you can get software but it's just not the same). The best way is simply do your A+ and Network+ and get at least 1 years experience with networking before atempting the MCSE.

The MCSE is a lot of work 7 exams and a lot of reading about 7000 pages if you use the Microsoft books. It's no wonder you lost interest...Anyway I hope you recove from your scrap with Computeach and carry on down the path of IT. If you need help with anything Simon just ask in the boards everyone is helpful and will give you good advice...:D

10. chicola

chicola Bit Poster

I have really had enough of these people.

I am on the last stage of my course and they are trying to hold me up by not marking my exam properly.

I don't know what I can do as whatever I submit will never be marked properly! I just want to take the last exam and then I will be happy. If this carries on I will just have to pay for the exam myself anyway.

Apart from this I have had all sorts of hassle by them, such as being asked for money that I had already paid them (and no apology or explanation was given). If I was just paying for the exams and books myself then I probably would have finished it by now and saved £500+.

Im not normally one to complain, but I feel hurt by the treatment I have received by them. Who can I contact at Watchdog about this? They're messing with peoples dreams and it's discusting. I feel strongly about this and people need to be made aware of what they are like so that other people don't get hurt.

11. themage246

themage246 New Member

having spent 2 years virtually working nights, looking after my family and studying I am starting to think that computeach is a right ripoff, as all I get told is to email what questions I thought were hard and where I thought I went wrong, is this not the same thing? :blink
    I email the question numbers (5 per time) and they email a list of about 8 subjects that I need to concentrate on! :twisted:
    Whats the point and is watchdog still looking into this company.