1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got a Netgear DG834GT modem/router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, Feb 23, 2006.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi guys wanting to buy a Netgear DG834GT modem/router but have heard a few bad things about the wireless cutting out a lot. Does anyone have one and if so what is it like and do you have any problems with it. I want one of these as it's an all in one device modem/router/wireless and most importantly it has a firewall that can be configured using policies.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

i find if you look around all the adsl forums you will find praise/bad news about most products! I put it down to the fact the manufacturers sell so many they are bad to have a bad batch.
    Personally, i can only say how good I have found Netgear stuff in general. I have a ethernet/USB router which is my loan model for when people i visit have a problem with theirs which gives me time to order them a new one.

Edit

Most of dropping out problems i find are due to interference with other networks (change the channel) or more often than not encryption....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I own one and have also installed about 20-30 for others. There all i use for home and small business users. Never had any trouble with them. Easy to install and configure, and have always been reliable.

Neall

WIP: A+
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Boyce's right mate...I have a Netgear standalone router for when I want to share internet connection or use for other computers I am re-doing...its not wireless and I aint fussed about that. Right now wireless is not my thing...thats not to say I dont know how to configure a wireless connection...but I agree with boyce, maybe other networks are interfering and u may want to encrypt yours too which I am sure you will no doubt...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. michael78

Cheers guys for the advice. I have wireless setup at the momment with an origo modem and linksys wireless router. The reason I want to get a netgear is because it would be an all in one solution and more importantly it has a firewall that can be configured with rules. Saying that I'm put off by the negative comments I've read about the firmware being rubbish and the wireless cutting out a lot. I've looked at a similar Dlink DSL-G624M model all in one which also looks good but is more expensive.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  6. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Not had any problems with my DG834GT, get decent wireless performance even through a couple of walls (tested that while wandering round my house with my PSP :))
    The latest firmware was released not long since which apparently improves wireless performance but I've not had time to install it and check it out yet. Might try it after I get my A+ out of the way.....

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  7. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

8. michael78

I looked at the DG834G first but the problems seem to be specifically with the DG83GT. There is even an online petition going around about getting it fixed. The problem is I don't know if the latest firmware fixes the problems or if it's just a bad batch or user misconfiguration that are causing these problems. There is a riddiculous netgear forum thread about it thats 38 pages long and counting about the wireless cutting out a lot.

9. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

It's probably going to be true then. There will always be good and bad reviews about a product based on different user experience's. But if there is a petition and the majority of reviews complain about one certain fault, it might be best to hold off till Netgear releases firmware that will fix it.

Neall

10. michael78

Thats the problem, I don't know if the firmware fixes the problems or not. I think I might opt for the DLink model instead as it's a similar spec.

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Sly,

Have you thought about Zyxel? The are reasonably priced, solid as a rock and are very configurable. I bought a 660HW for myself recently. Well happy :)

12. michael78

Boyce does it have a modem built into it as well?

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Sly,

Yeah, the 660HW is an ADSL modem/router with built in wireless and very configurable. Take a look here for me info.

14. michael78

Cheers Boyce I'll have a look.