Anyone failed an exam?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by hailstorm, Aug 17, 2007.

1. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

This is my first post here. I'm currently studying towards my MCSA cert. Got 790 and 791 to go. 790 coming up end of this month. Already got my MCDST cert.

I see a lot of people post when they have passed but I'm curious if anyone has failed an exam and would like to share what they have learnt from it.

With my company paying up for each exam I take I do have it in the back of my mind that it would be a bit embarrasing if I was to fail an exam.

Certifications: ACTC, ACSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: ACSA
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Never failed a cert exam yet... :biggrin

Got the odd crappy grade on other exams in the past...

Lets hope its stays that way, its a bit like being an undefeated champ, the stakes just get bigger... :blink

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yep, i failed the 291 the first time i sat it. Makes you work harder for the second attempt and you have a good idea what you are up against the second time around.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We're just talking about professional exams right?

The only exam that I've failed was my 70-296 (MCSE 2000 to 2003 upgrade), but passed it second time. I believe that I've failed the beta exams for the MCSE 2k3 to 2k8 exam and and MCSA 2k3 to 2k8 exam, but haven't received my score report yet (beta results can take 8 weeks to 6 months to come thru).

What I learnt from it:

1. No matter how much you learn, there is always something that you don't know.
    2. You're bound to fail at some point in your certification route and
    3. If you fail an exam, so what. Use that knowledge to help you pass the next one.

There's more that I learned, but don't have the time to write all of them. :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Yeap same for me failed the 70-291 exam as well. But I see it as an ok thing as it allows you to be better prepared for the second go.

I wouldn't get embarrased about failing, your human and humans don't always get everything right first time...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. hailstorm

hailstorm Bit Poster

Thanks for the replys. Interesting 70-291 gets mentioned a couple of times. I have to say just looking at the size of the book for that exam makes my eyes water.

Certifications: ACTC, ACSP, MCP, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: ACSA
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I failed 290.

I must admit, I didn't prepare for it - I just wanted to see what I was up against and to gauge myself.

I discovered that I wasn't ready...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. g.vangemerden

g.vangemerden Bit Poster

I failed the 70-431 once on fridayafternoon .. I was flabbergasted i failed... I was almost sure i knew all the answers, just messed up the simulations (didn't close dialogboxes)... took it again on Mondaymorning... and then i passed.

BTW... do you remember 70-216... those were the days

Certifications: See signature..
    WIP: MCITP:DBA - MCITP:SA - MCIPT:EA
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yep, I was a little surprised that I passed that one, the 2k route is what I started on so I like that route and compare the rest of MS exams to them :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yup I failed 216 first time around and I'm afraid 224 as well. Past them both on the retake though.

Thought I was ready for both of them, but failing made me or the more determined to nail them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I failed the MCSA 2000 to MCSA 2003 upgrade exam the first time i took it.... my own fault really as i rushed into it a bit too quickly.

Passed it second time around after putting alot more effot in!:D

Other than that i failed one of the CIW exams but that was towards the beginning of my career. So failing 2 out of around 25 IT exams isnt a bad a ratio!

Best tip is to take a short break and come back to the study with a clear head and work hard, allbeit with the advantage of knowing what some of the exam questions will be like...

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I failed NT4 Workstation
    after passing NT 4 Server and NT 4 Server in the Enterprise, go figure :)
    Passed it a week later

I failed a Cisco Voice exam after being rushed into it by a former employer, never bothered re taking it as I changed companies. I wasn't far off so imagine a re sit would of sufficed

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I've failed plenty in my time. :rolleyes:

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've failed exams before, most notably the MCNS (Managing Cisco Network Security, now SND) exam and the Oracle 9i Fundamentals I exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Ossian

Ossian Bit Poster

I failed 70-229 (SQL 2000 Designing and Implementing Databases) the first time round. It was my first "programming exam" and I was too laid back:
    a) Improperly prepared
    b) Rushed the exam (45 mins)
    c) Didn't read the questions fully
    d) Didn't read the answers fully
    e) Slight hangover and a long drive to the test centre

The result was about 680 so good but not quite a pass...

I went back a week later, after more practice and a lot of self tests and got an adequate 760...

As a trainer, I advise my students to go in with a positive attitude and don't worry. If they fail, its just like falling off a bicycle -- get up, get on and get going again.

Tom

Certifications: MCT, MCSE/A, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP, Sec+
    WIP: Not sure....
  16. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I failed my first ever attempt on an IT exam...

I was well f*king gutted... Geez, why did you bring back the memorys! Why dammit! Whyyyyyyyy!

*seriously though, i missed it by a few marks, which was more of a bit*h but, what can you do, noone is perfect!

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've failed exams. I think everyone does. I solved the problem by not taking exams.

Actually, I don't have time to study for an exam at this point and there aren't many that are directly relevant to what I currently do, anyway.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've got a writer/editor evaluation you're welcome to take... :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

i failed the damned CWNA my first time. i currently have the voucher to take it again, but i'm still not confident in my ability to pass it after that first fail. it sucks that test is wicked. almost every question is multiple answer and on a lot of those questions all or many of the possible answers are true.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP