Anyone ever had...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Josiahb, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

... a job application (and interview process) take over a month to complete?

I went for an interview at the end of July for a second line job, interview went well and they invited me back again for a second interview (which thankfully they organised to be after I returned from holiday) in mid-august. Feedback was all very positive, of six candidates who made it through to second interview I was the only one who managed to actually answer the technical questions on my second visit (outdoing MCSEs who'd previously been earning £30k a year :p).

Unfortunately this hasn't led to an offer as the company wanted to see some more candidates before they make a decision, the recruiter then went on holiday for a week, followed by the HR bod going away this week and the director who will make the final decision being away next week....

So basically I'm in limbo, waiting for everyones annual leave to finish and hoping that this new set of candidates turn out to be as big a bunch of muppets as the ones before. Its frustrating to say the least :(

Wouldn't be so bad if the job wasn't exactly what I'm looking for, right role, right sort of company, right money.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep. Happens all the time - especially the higher up the ladder you go. As an example, when I worked for the gavvers it took just under two months from first interview to get a start date.

This can also work in your favour though. When I went for a job with a department store (senior technical analyst) I had FIVE interviews. It wasn't until the fifth one (after I'd provisionally accepted the job) that I had second thoughts (met the IT Director and he seemed like an absolute tool - no way I could have worked for him). If it hadn't been for that long, drawn out process, i might have ended up working for them and regretting it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

One job I've applied for took a year for the process to complete (from submitting the application form to first day on the job).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Zeb, thats a good way of looking at it :biggrin

I suppose a lot of the problem is the feeling I have that my life is effectively on hold until I get a better job, I'm not in a position to save for anything for the future and I'm having to rely on my partner for a fair share of the day to day stuff which is putting a strain on things. Ahh well, I'll just have to sit tight and hope for the best :biggrin

5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Holy christ I hope this doesn't take that long, I'm likely to go completely loopy!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. I've had several interview processes take several months to complete. Stuff happens... people get busy, unexpected things happen... fires sometimes need to be put out. I'd say a month isn't that uncommon (or that long) at all.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Yep one job interview after the 1st round they said the 2nd interview would be 3 months as the IT manager had to come over from Denmark and after that I had a 3rd interview but wasn't successful so was a bit miffed at the timescale.

Lately I had another job interviews with 3 rounds and the whole thing was a joke as they just kept dragging their feet and in the end I sent an email saying make a decision or count me out as I can't keep waiting (They kept breaking deadlines which really pi**ed me off). Thought they would ask for a blood sample at one point :rolleyes:.

Think in this climate a lot of companies are making sure they get the right people so are taking their time in decision making which doesn't help when you have a mortgage to pay.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, one job I had a while back had 5 interviews. Turned out that many departments were putting in the £££ from their budget to pay me so they all wanted a say in the interview process.

Also one job I got took so long to send me a contract I ended up getting another job even though I’d accepted verbally. Was their own fault for not getting me the contract through quick enough so I could make sure it was defiantly the right job accept.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. MadMat

MadMat Bit Poster

Wow things seemed to have changed a bit since I last went job hunting - My last job I called about an ad in the local paper, was asked to interview the following day, was offered the job on the spot and started the following Monday! (was an entry level ISP helpdesk job)

5 days from first contact to starting work !

Mat

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

From the looks of things thats only the experience for entry level jobs, I was interviewed and started the following day for my current role.

I'm just hanging on in there at the moment (and jumping every time the phone rings!), I'm glad the responses here have given me some reassurance at least! I think I'm just impatient because I know even if the next phone call is them offering me the job theres still going to be a chunk of time before I get to start (notice period etc).

11. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

So they didn't offer you the job at the department store then, hehe

12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes, however I personally tend to think it reflects badly on the company in most cases.

A real resourcing requirement would generally mean that there is work to be done that is not getting done, by spending too long looking for the 'perfect candidate' you may actually do your company more harm than just taking an average one.

It can be a classic case of 'analysis paralysis', sometimes in business any decision is better than no decision or the right decision but 6 months late.

Just as developers can be accused of the 'inmates running the asylum', HR can also be guilty of over embellishing their role and extending the process in an undue and unhelpful manner.

I agree with zeb, generally its best to just move on, its most likely they will never get their 'perfect candidate' and that the job will never be filled and just disappear through some organisational change.

I'm also not convinced interview performance is really a good indicator of on the job performance, unless that job involves a significant sales/presentation/speaking aspect.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  13. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Couldn't agree more. I think it show a lack of respect to the candidates. In this job I recently had 3 interviews for the IT manager just seemed completely inept. I actually emailed and rang the guy 3 times at each stage because they kept missing their deadlines for letting me know about the job. I was so cheesed off at the end I sent an email saying make a decision or count me out. Strangely I didn't get the job but didn't want it by that time. I actually sent him an email giving him some tips for interviewing in the future :dry. It wasted my time and money taking days off to go and 3 interviews and they couldn't be bothered to be prompt with feedback.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Having been hanging around for what seems like an age I had a call from the recruiter just now, I'll know within the next 48 hours but its looking pretty good!

Apparently my major advantage is that I'm (comparatively) cheap, many of the other candidates have apparently been asking for over and above the upper wage originally offered. It also helps that my interview was kickass.

15. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

I had an interview 3 months ago and have been told no decision has been made yet!
    Just get on with other things, and if they come back and offer it you great! If not at least you havent wasted time waiting for it

16. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

It amazes me what some people have to go through for is a very long recruiting process, don't they realise life is too short. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, there are two reasons why recruiting processes go long:

1) It is imperative to get the absolute best candidate for the position... not simply the first qualified candidiate that walks through the door. Life's too short to hire the wrong candidate.
    2) The users come first: putting out fires almost always takes precedence over hiring new candidates. Reviewing CVs, interviewing candidates, and training new employees takes more time than you might think (can I get an "Amen" from those of you who are part of the hiring process?).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I've only gone and bloody got it!! Just had the call to say I'm being offered the job, closer to home, better money and more holiday.

I'm stupidly happy!

But I can't show it because I'm still in the bloody office.....

19. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congrats!

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  20. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

nice one. You got a long notice period?

What does the new role entail?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP