Anyone else get the hard sell from Preplogic?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Trogdor, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Late last week I downloaded the mega guide from Preplogic for the 70-270 exam I am studying for. It was a good deal at about £3. Little did I know that this seems to be a marketing tool to get names and numbers for prospective clients. I had a phone call from a sales rep in the U.S. trying to sell me a video subscription for about £1500 for about six months. Not entirely sure on the figures because I have to remember what he quoted me on the phone as they are not on the site and are not in any of the subsequent mails this guy sent me (he calls himself my account manager and even sent me some holiday snaps of him in London! :eek: ).

Has anyone else had this experience, or do I just have "mug" written across my forehead? Highly tempted to give a spoof number next time they are giving away these mega guides...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Sales people make all the money for a company and normally work on commission as well which makes them very forward.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I did yes, repeatedly calling me during work hours. I told them straight. Sorted.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

No disagreement there. I used to work in sales and I know how it can be. It just seems a bit overboard from my giving them three quid. Add to that, I usually spend less than £300 for all of the materials for my exams - books, CBTs, practice tests, etc. I usually take 3-4 months to prepare for the exam. Financially, this means that I will need to sit five exams in six months to break even. This, in addition to the fact that I would be tied to their training materials and especially with the MS exams, I think I should have the materials from the horse's mouth - i.e. the MS Press books.

IMO pressure sales tactics are resorted to when your product will not sell any other way. I routinely buy CBT Nuggets products for example, as recommended by many on this forum, and I have never had a call or any other direct marketing other than the occasional email.

The main difference is that I "buy" CBT Nuggets and MS Press materials. I am not interested in being "sold" PrepLogic materials. It just smacks too much of the methods many TPs use.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc