Anyone else doing Open University?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Pete01, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I passed my foundation course w00t!

So I'm now in a position to continue studying degree level computing with the open university.

I'm doing this alongside my CCNA however I learned that they're doing the CCNA as a 'module' in the Foundation Degree in Information and Communication Technologies.

So after my CCNA I might take the 'OU CCNA' module with another one at the same time to save time.

The Foundation Degree in Information and Communication Technologies isn't a full degree in networking, from what I see (correct me if I'm wrong) there isn't a networking degree inclusive apart from the 'choose your own degree' direction.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/classifications/information_technology_and_computing_main_page.shtm

Having got M150 what would you go for next? :p

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well done Pete - nice one. Time for a small libation, perchance ? :morebeer

As for the what next question, not sure if we have many OU dudes around here. Could definitely be a question for Sandy next time he's around :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass. Cheers. :beers2

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi Mate. Well done.
    I did 2 years of OU quite a while back. Year 1 was basic computing and the Internet (T101) and year 2 was Samlltalk and Object Oriented Programming (M206). Both were absolutely excellent in terms of support and material (and value for money).
    Some of the timescales were a bit tight and I was surprised at how many students fell by the wayside because they couldn't keep up with the assignments.
    The only thing that put me off in the end was the duration. It would have taken about 4 years to get a diploma in computing, and I thought, WTF is that anyway? The end of year exams were pretty scary too, it was like being back at school.

Overall though I think the package they offer would teach most training providers a thing or two.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi,

I am almost finished studying T171, looking at what to do next, probably try and do a more technical course, such as Java or something!

L

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Pete

I am in the 2nd year of a BEng (Hons) with the OU. So far I have 105 Level 1 points under my belt and am currently working on 80 level 2 points :blink . I am aiming to complete it in 5 years (4 of I can) :ohmy

If networking really is your thing then T209, T224, the CCNA course and T306 will be the courses best suited for your profile. Give your Regional Office a ring they are always very helpfull.

I did find that to do the BSc (Hons) IT & Computing really did not fit what I wanted to do so swapped to the BEng (Hons) stream.

The OU CCNA course is the same as any Cisco Learning Acadamy course but is only in pilot at this stage, meaning the day schools are only being offered in Luton.

I'll e-mail Gav with my First Class ID we can "chat" there.

7. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Yep I'm with OU - but not IT!

8. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

well done on the pass :D

I work for the OU.........!

Muff

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  9. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Oooo can I get a discount on my next course? :biggrin

10. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Cheeky :twisted:

Not my area I'm afraid........:cry:

Muff

Certifications: ITIL 2011,MCSA 2008,MCSA 2003,CEH,Security+,A+,Net+,i-Net+,270,290,291,648,646
  11. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

:tune :lol:

12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Funny how businesses love the free word of mouth advertising, but never really like rewarding people for it. :biggrin

Nothing personal against you, mufftak. Just an observation made over time.

It's like the new campaign here in the US by Hagen Daz. They want people to come up with great new ice cream flavors for them, but the only reward is to see your flavor sold in the store. Yeah, right. What a reward. :rolleyes: I'd rather have a percentage of their increase in sales. That at least shows they really appreciate your input.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

"Funny how businesses love the free word of mouth advertising, but never really like rewarding people for it"

My company *****Q*** Loves rewaring people for word of mouth, advertising that is :D

14. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Ffreeloader - I have never advertised the OU since I've been a member of this site, I just happen to work there !

I'm only a small cog, but I could speak to Marketing & see if they could do anything for the lovely people @ certforums :D

Is this OK with the moderators? :rolleyes:

Muff

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'll post this in the "hidden" forums deep in the catacombs underneath CF proper to see what comes up. :wink:

16. ffreeloader

You work with/for James Bond? :tune

17. ffreeloader

Hey, it wasn't a hint to get paid for anything, but if your company wants to help some of those people who take courses there it might well help someone here. Wouldn't do me any good because I don't live in the UK, but that's beside the point.

I have no say in any policy making at CF so my opinion is just that, my opinion. I do not speak for CF and wouldn't even attempt to do so.

18. mufftak

mufftak Nibble Poster

Who hinted about getting paid for anything :x , The OU isn't my company. I'm just an employee, one of many thousand.

You try & do a good turn.....................:(

Muff

19. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey hey, Guys - let's draw breath and not cause extra work around here.

Muff - it's a great idea, and if you think anything can come of it, please contact myself or any of the Staff directly. We'd be more than happy to try and accomodate what could only be a good thing for our Members.

Thanks for taking the time to think about the Community :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Muff...so far the general consensus seems to be very favorable. Don't know if anything will come of it, but there doesn't seem to be an issue with proceeding from CF's end.