Anyone done the upgrade to BES 5?

Discussion in 'Software' started by danielno8, Jul 11, 2009.

1. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Hey guys,

We got it yesterday, will be taking a look tomorrow probably. upgrading from 4.1.

Anyone else got plans to upgrade?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nope. Doesn't give us anything 4.1 does without a fw upgrade on devices so can't be arsed with it. Failover for BB is pointless unless you're running an estate of about 500 handsets (we've got 40) and I'm not upgrading my BES VM (resource requirements are much greater than they are for 4.x). Plus I'd have to learn the ****ty-looking new interface to support it, and, tbh, I've been burned too many times by companies replacing perfectly good, reliable and simple fat-client admin consoles with web interfaces that suck (I still hate McAfee for replacing the EPO Console with the horrific web-based dashboard abomination in EPO 4.0)

Besides, I've got a mate who does messaging for a law firm - he migrated to 5 a while back (early adopter) said they still haven't fixed the fact that BB regularly falls over when Exchange is being backed up - and, if anything, its actually worse now than it used to be - they lose BB every time for over an hour after a backup job runs.

I'll stick with 4.1.6 - reliable, and does exactly what I want it to do. When they fix the age-old problem of Exchange backups killing BES stone-dead for ages then I'll think about upgrading.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. danielno8

lmao, sounds like this shall be fun....i haven't a clue of the differences, wasn't involved in the decision to get it, my boss just said install it.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've no doubt the upgrade itself will be relatively painless. I just wouldn't want to waste any more time learning to administer something in a completely different way if the current software works perfectly well, and the upgrade doesn't give any real benefits.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

We recently upgraded to bes 4.0 and has been a big improvement from the old 3.6:), well still need to check the services to make sure the bes controller has stopped.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. danielno8

Yeha upgrade looks ok, but i'll still have to administer it lol.