Anyone done ISEB Business Analysis ?

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 2, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

There is quite an overlap for this with my MSc course so I'm contemplating the Foundation exam in the new year.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this, books to use etc, from a self study viewpoint ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Masters should be worth more than the cert so I wouldn't bother, only ISEB cert I've ever seen requested in a job advert is the testing one.

3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I hear what you say but I've just done a search on Reed (as an example) and it does come up quite a few times for business analyst roles. Bearing in mind the Masters is 2 years part time and I'm still unemployed I'm keen to add anything appropriate to my CV which may help immediate job prospects and study for this may not need to be as intense if I've already covered much of the material.

Anyone actually studied for it tho' ? I'm more interested to know the key texts (apart from the obvious BCS one) that will map to the questions ?

4. JamesStill

JamesStill Bit Poster

I've done the Foundation exam purely from the textbook and it was pretty straight forward. There's an even better benefit - the book also covers pretty much the entire syllabus for the Foundation Cert in IT Enabled Business Change. I sat the exams for them both in the same week purely from the one textbook.

There is a separate textbook available for the Business Change exam - but I wouldn't recommend it - I couldn't even finish it, which was a bit of a surprise as the rest of the ISEB books have been really well written in my experience. Just that one was terrible (to the point where I actually spoke to the BCS about it).

For what it's worth, the following ISEB exams can be prepared for in about 15 hours self study with the appropriate textbook and I've done them all in the past year.

Foundation Cert in Software Testing
    Foundation Cert in Project Management (For IT projects)
    Foundation Cert in Business Analysis
    Foundation Cert in IT Enables Business Change
    Certificate in Information Security Management Principles
    Intermediate Cert in Software Testing

All of these have ISEB or BCS books available - just get them from Amazon. I once made the mistake of trying to do an exam from the reading list: 7 or 8 300+ page books - no thanks. I pretty quickly decided to wait for an official book before doing any more exams.

It's a really nice way to get a good coverage of a broad area of knowledge.

Now I just need them to bring back the IT Law qualification. I really wanted to have a look at that - too many John Grisham novels :)

Hope this helps.
    James

Certifications: ISEB Foundation Cert in Software Testing
    WIP: More ISEB.....
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I can tell you categorically they aren't bringing back IT Law.

I also posted about self study for ISEB here :

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=36379

Generally they reckon 20-24 hours of study (15 is a bit "light") and that's direct from the examiner's mouth :biggrin

6. JamesStill

JamesStill Bit Poster

That's tragic.

Oopsie! ^^ even at 20-24 hours each, I reckon they're a steal.

Certifications: ISEB Foundation Cert in Software Testing
    WIP: More ISEB.....
  7. sukhysd2

sukhysd2 New Member

Dear Jamestill Could you Please detail me your method for revising for the Certificate in Information Security Management Principles as I wish to sit the exam and I dont know where to get the past papers from I have the book by Andy Taylor of amazon but do i need past papers and how difficult is the exam I have a degree in computer science and business if that will help at all?