Anyone attained the CEng via the BCS?

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Kitkatninja, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone here has attained the CEng/IEng, especially via the BCS. What was the application process like? What did they assess you on? How long did they take?

Those that work in IT I would especially like to hear from as the CEng/IEng are gear up more towards engineers in other fields (according to the info on the ECUK site).

Thanks

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

In word, no, not me, I thought about applying based on my Automation/Instrumentation experience but all people I spoke to gave explanations as clear as mud about the essay and points process.

I think you need to write an essay and then submit it and see what happens, I doubt standard system administration counts. I'd expect them to want to see a strong emphasis on engineering, maybe if you develop hardware/software, or perform novel (as in unique) system integrations, or are one of the first to trail some hardware/software and help improve it.

In the end I gave up and went back to looking for my next contract.

Ask BCS about their "Individual Case Procedure (ICP)" for CEng, I'd be interested to hear what happens !

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well I was going to see about this next year, I should have applied for it the same time as the CITP...

Will post on what happens when I apply :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. coachbevans

coachbevans New Member

I just gained CITP today and they sent a follow on mail shortly after the CITP acceptance suggesting I apply for CEng or IEng. I'll be taking them up on this, BUT... because I have no academic qualifications I'll have to go the technical report route. I am trying to get someone on the phone at BCS to talk about it in more detail to see if i'd actaully stand a chance, I'll keep everyone posted.

5. Gab

Gab New Member

coachbevans i am very much interested in how it goes. please keep us updated.

good luck.

Certifications: CITP
    WIP: CEng
  6. Billy Abbott

Billy Abbott New Member

I have - I applied for the CEng at the same time as my CITP. The CITP came through first and I was called in for an interview for the CEng shortly after.

I've got an accredited degree so my application was no different from the CITP one - submit a current CV, a document listing evidence that you are qualified to SFIAplus level 5 and supporting documents for my qualifications. The interview was with a couple of BCS CEng-ers who asked me about my jobs, projects, interests and all the rest.

I just found this thread after getting an email from someone asking about the application process as it is a bit on the opaque side, and would like to shed a bit of light if I can.

Certifications: CITP, CEng
  7. colmoc

colmoc New Member

I completed the CEng process this year via teh ICP route.

My tips are,

- read the Guide to ICP technical report in detail, underline key points/requirements etc
    - forward a review (synops) with work you and you alone completed.
    - Update your details via career builder on BCS secure website
    - get 2 sponsors (CEng or CITP)
    - buy a guide to writing report or thesis writing
    - Create a professional book quality document, with appropriate appendices etc.
    - Note the full report is at Masters degree level, have references to support any underpinning theories etc.
    - At the interview (which was difficult but fair), have some examples of your work to explain which are comparable to wider concept Engineering works
    - read the ECUK notes on CEng & IENg qualifications, ensure that you have supporting work and technical report attributes to demonstrate the required level you apply for.

best of luck.

colmoc

8. Mwas

Mwas New Member

I achieved IEng and later CEng via BCS. The process is similar to any EC UK licensed PEI.
    What I think is different is that it may be a little faster to get processed than some other institutes.
    BCS has very good Customer Support and Service Delivery team who work with you.
    The Assessors for the PRI interview asked serious questions but these were not in order to fail but rather to get the assessment right.
    If you follow the instructions you will be successful. Make sure your skills match the UKSPEC.
    I also applied for CITP and one advice is don't repeat my mistake. I did my Interview at 3 AM because of the 8 hour difference in time zones.
    Everything I planned went opposite, words didn't come to my mind, I guess my brain is not that sharp at 3 AM.
    It was a mistake on my part. I don't know yet if I passed or failed.