Anyone admin a dominant Vista environment?

Discussion in 'Software' started by fortch, Apr 12, 2008.

1. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

At my new job, I'm dealing with 50 Vista users (plus about 20XP), in a W2k3 domain. Anyone else dealing with Vista on the domain everyday? If so, what are ya seeing? We also have Office 2007, among other things, but most I've never had to admin on a daily basis (my previous jobs all had XP/Office03/W2k-3). Pretty strange, but cool, because this small company likes to stay ahead of the curve. Wait till I hit 'em with Linux :blink

I'll start with one: ever had Vista drop all its shortcuts on the Program menu for only Office apps?

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I don't fancy being in your shoes, 50 Vista boxes on a domain :blink

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Corrupt user profile? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

That's what I thought too, but its only on the recent program menu, and only for office. I need to login as either local or domain admin and check -- but in the meantime, I just found the executables and pinned shortcuts manually. Did the trick, and didn't take any time -- the user had a million windows open, and was in the middle of doing stuff. I'll continue at some point, but it doesn't surprise me seeing as how windows love to eat profiles.

Here's another -- some of the old users (newer company) have vista machines that haven't been incorporated in to the domain. They now want to join in, but want to keep their local profiles :rolleyes: Moveuser.exe doesn't seem to work for Vista:blink, so what now?

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Use ‘Windows Easy Transfer’ listed under system tools. Run that and move the profile to a folder on the PC\Laptop.

Add the PC\Laptop to the domain and you will get a new profile. Run Windows Easy Transfer again to import the profile. Job done. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs