Anybody help with a prob ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Flamehearted, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Flamehearted

Flamehearted Nibble Poster

Hiya all,

Bit of a long shot here but I wondered if anybody had come across this problem in the field at all ?

I have a coomputer where the client can't log onto msn services - i.e he can't use messenger or send or recieve e-mails.

Also he can't pay for things securely online at all.

I've done a lot of web research on this and the only things I can think of is either :

1) It is due to him recently changing from Norton Antivirus to McAfee

2) Something to do with Service Pack 2

Sorry if this is all a bit vague but I just thought someone might have come across this problem

I'm going back tomorrow after failing to make it work today !

Thanks,

Martin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Soz m8 too late to start thinking too deep about this. One thing that does spring straight to mind is that the setting for cookies are too tight.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

is the SP2 firewall enabled? if so check it wasnt configured incorrectly by mistake

also as AJ says, check the IE security zones if they are present

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

McAfee would not do it if it is just the AV. Is this the entire security suite? If that is the case, and you have XPSP2 also, you will need to turn off one of the firewalls, and configure the other to open the ports for IM and SSL. This really does sound more like a cookie or firewall problem.

Also make sure that MSN is in the trusted zones in IE. Better yet, dump IE and use FireFox... :twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  5. Flamehearted

Flamehearted Nibble Poster

Thanks guys - solved it !

Its a know problem with Norton - bits of it hang around after deinstalling and cause problems.

I also ran the command regsvr32 softpub.dll which I think cured it - although god knows what that command actually does.

Anyway I'm off to claim my fee !

Drink on me !

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  6. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

That command has to do with allowing you to sign into secure sites. You also need to have 128 bit encryption installed for it to work. Congrats on solving the problem!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I just found the MS link for you here. If you look halfway down the page you'll see that you might need to re-register some other dll's.

Using the command regsrv32,

You can find more about it here.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685