Anybody got any views OCZ or Enermax PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 7, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well at the moment I am scared to play any games because as you know games need more power - more power = more heat with a crap psu = dead computer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

You need to speak to a friend of mine I work with...he tends to buy on impulse...and let me tell u this...he is the only person I know who formats his machine more times than anyone else...and this is just in the last year alone!! if I was to count how many times he has reformatted his machine...I would need more hands...i have explained to him that he needs to take his time and research his parts...but he seems to go for the best out there...for example he bought the AMD X2 6400 Black Edition CPU. he was going to get the X2 6000 but the shop he was going to get it from told him about the new one...and he went for it...then he bought an ASUS Crosshair mobo the same day!! he spent almost £300 on just those two alone!! and he keeps asking me...how is it I seem to not have an issue with my machine yet he keeps having to re-format his? I dont know one of these days I will get him to my way of thinking...he has bought himself an Antec 900 and that I cant fault him for...he did just found out he cant SLi his 8600 GPU and I cant remember the reason now! lol...but please if u ever come to Newcastle have words with him lol...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Haha true, compared to him GBL isn't rushing but he seems a bit 'extreme' to say the least.

It seems as though he wants the best results without putting in "real" effort. Instead of selecting components that work well together and have good room for overclocking, he spends more to buy things that are out of proportion in cost for the little benefit.

And if I remember correctly (too lazy to google) the black CPU is just an unlocked multiplier, that's not near the cost they demand :p

If he researched his hardware better, he wouldn't need to keep buying multiple items for each upgrade... but well, as long as you have people like that to learn from, and it isn't us doing it, who are we to moan? :D

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yeah true...i use to be like that 10yrs ago when I built my first PC..after that I decided best to research and find out whats compatible with what...even when I was building my gaming machine, there were things I said I wanted to get but then the second I got paid I held back and found something better than what I originally wanted. For example I wanted to get two ATI HD2600XT with GDDR4 RAM...instead I went for the GDDR3 range purely based on the reviews I read about the GDDR4 versions (plus they were rather pricey for me hehe).

Like u say there are people out there who just buy on impulse especially when new stuff comes out...like AMD/ATI Spider platform...I aint going for those until end of this year...cos a) wana wait for the prices to drop a bit more, b) see what reviews come out as the year goes on and c) im planning on doing some case modding so hopefully when I get my 3rd Antec 900 ready for the Spider platform it will look HOTT!! :biggrin

5. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

The problem for me, up until now, is that by the time I can afford something I want, something better and more expensive comes out and it's usually not just a minor change. Now I'm so used to not having much money, I still act like I can't just buy on impulse, this seems to be a handy attitude lol (scrooge). :rolleyes:

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yeah I know what u mean...I earn enough money to get parts at a time...I dont do what most people do...the whole buying all at once...cos its best to keep an eye on things in case something better comes out...but the one thing I like to keep my eyes on is the price...if I know (or have heard) the quality is good and the price is right for it...I will get it...best to just be patient and see what happens...

7. greenbrucelee

until my debts are over(4 months), I can only afford what my budget allows which isn't that much.

8. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Sounds like bad luck. Mine just hit 2.5 years and still going strong. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  9. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Awesome choice, mate! *Applause*

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Good choice, GBL. Tt is a good brand.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. greenbrucelee

The order has been dispatched today, just got the email.

Thanks again everyone who helped out. :D

12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Y'welcome

13. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Did I mention that the reason I, and others, strongly recommended the OP650 is because of the single rail feature?

It's too late now but I thought I'd mention it. Single rail provides a much better supply than than of a multi rail PSU..

Maybe that's why Noel was so convinced that the Modular was better, after all, the non modular PSU's with mutli rails don't have anything to shout about :dry

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Meh, I prefer dual rails, which can provide dedicated power to devices, such as a video card. I've had single rails... when that was all that existed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. greenbrucelee

I thought the more rails the more the PSU can provide to dedicated components instead of all the power going one way.

The one I have odered has 4 12V rails which should mean it sturdy enough to power all my bits, or am I wrong.

Edit: most good systems these days require at least dual rail anyhow do they not?

16. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

When it comes to hardware, I trust those who *fully* stress the stuff i.e. overclockers and respected reviewers.

I hope this is an insight to how powerful this 650w single rail psu is:

http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/power-supply-units/silverstone-olympia-op650w/4

My friend was running one of these until he opted for SLi 8800gt, which required a SLi certified PSU. He also went for 1000w too though..

He was running a very high end system, made up of: 8800GTX Ultra, Intel Quad core (will update details later), 2GB ram, all overclocked and several HDD's.

This PSU is more than adequite for the jobs it's tasked with :p

17. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I personally think the seasonic reviews are better than that, so il stick with them. Each to their own i guess.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  18. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Yea, that's your choice. I'm hardly going to use that PSU forever myself.

It was the first review I looked at on google, might be better ones, might be worse ones - who knows.

I'm a member of a overclocking forum and it's a highly recommended PSU on there. I have my reasons, you have yours. Just the way the world works :p

19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

With the system spec you mentioned, a good 450-500W supply would be fine. You may want more juice if you intend to upgrade to higher end components in the future. Eg SLI video cards etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  20. greenbrucelee

I ended up with the 700w one as I may go sli in the future or add a few extra things like drives.