Any tips for the OS exam?

Discussion in 'A+' started by nazamhussain, Jul 6, 2006.

1. nazamhussain

nazamhussain New Member

Hi all,

Just passed my A+ Core exam today (well techincally yesterday) with a score of 780, now i've got to prepare for the OS one. From what i've gathered the general consensus is that the OS exam is the harder one so I was wondering whether anyone can give me some tips.

I know the A+ cert isn't going to magically improve my job prospects and I'm only really doing it for the sake of 'completeness' before moving onto Network+ etc; although I did learn alot of new stuff in the A+ Core part of the cert!

So i'd really like to take the OS exam in a week (or two at max). I've got Mike Meyer's All-in-one A+ book, other than reading through that, are there any other useful tips (or main topics to concentrate on) anyone could give me to get up to speed quickly? I've used almost all versions of Windows at some point or another and I'm not a complete novice.

Just want to complete the A+ as soon as possible.

Nazam

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA or MCSA
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I would advise as much *hands on* with 98, 2000 and XP as you can. The Comptia exams are very much *how do you get to this or what happens if you right click this*....

The book you have is good.

The A+ will help with a job, it shows a prospective employer that you are keen and have a good foundational level for PC support.

Good luck

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Gavbam

Gavbam Bit Poster

I used A+ for dummies it was a great help and also goes into matters more than some of the CBT i used.

also there are many free e-books on the A+ exam too, i know when i did mine i installed Win 98 on a partition and messed around for days getting to feel and grips with it.

A+ for dummies is around £6/8 used on Amazon sites.

Good luck

Certifications: CompTIA A+,MCP,MCDST
    WIP: 270,290
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. nazamhussain

nazamhussain New Member

Thanks for your replies and advice ...

I took the OS exam at 3pm and passed it :biggrin

Funnily enough I 'found' the questions easier - or wasn't sweating as much - although I got a lower score than the Core exam (only 667). Would have liked to have scored better but as I've read many times on this forum, a pass is a pass.

Now onto the Network+ :rolleyes:

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass again... i hope you didnt *find* the questions you thought were in the exam..... :blink

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

congratulations on the pass.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  8. nazamhussain

nazamhussain New Member

What are you trying to imply? If you read my post again you may realise that the reason I said I 'found' the questions easier was because as I was doing the test I assumed that the questions were easier ... but I obviously didn't do aswell as I did on the core exam, and thats why I put 'found' in apostrophes.

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i didnt imply anything my friend! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass!

Harry.